This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of the ASTM Sequence IIIE Engine Oil Oxidation and Wear Test
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 01, 1988 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The ASTM Sequence IIID engine-dynamometer test has been used to evaluate the high-temperature protection provided by engine oils with respect to valve train wear, viscosity increase (oil thickening), deposits, and oil consumption. The obsolescence of the engine used in this test along with the need to define even higher levels of performance associated with a new oil category (SG) prompted efforts at developing a replacement test. This paper describes the hardware and procedure development of this replacement test, the ASTM Sequence IIIE test. Test precision and correlation with field and Sequence IIID results on a series of reference oils is also discussed.
|Technical Paper||Pumpability of Multigrade Engine Oils at Low Temperature|
|Technical Paper||European Valve Train Wear-Some Experience With the Volvo B20 Test|
CitationSmolenski, D. and Bergin, S., "Development of the ASTM Sequence IIIE Engine Oil Oxidation and Wear Test," SAE Technical Paper 881576, 1988, https://doi.org/10.4271/881576.
- API Publication 1509 “Engine Service Classification and Guide to Crankcase Oil Selection,” American Petroleum Institute 1988
- SAE J183 MAR 88 “Engine Oil Performance and Engine Service Classification,” Society of Automotive Engineers
- ASTM STP 315H “Multicylinder Test Sequences for Evaluating Automotive Engine Oils,” American Society for Testing and Materials September 15 1979
- Letter from SAE Fuels and Lubricants Technical Committee 1 on Engine Oils to ASTM requesting definition of a new, improved engine oil category March 1987
- Smolenski D. J. Kabel R. H. “Effect of Engine Oil Zinc Dithiophosphate (ZDP) Additive on Cam and Lifter Wear in Taxi Service,” SAE paper 831760
- Smolenski D. J. Kabel R. H. “Evaluation of Camshaft and Lifter Wear, Deposits, and Oil Thickening with Low-Phosphorus Engine Oils in Taxicab Service,” SAE paper 861516
- Final draft of Sequence IIIE Procedure April 1 1988 ASTM Research Report D-2:1225 Part 2 ASTM
- Rodgers J. J. Kabel R. H. “A Revised Sequence IIIC Engine Oil Test,” SAE paper 780259
- CRC Rating Manuals 12 and 14 Sludge Varnish Coordinating Research Council September 1976 January 1984