This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Statistical Tolerance Analysis Using Solid Modeling
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 01, 1988 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper examines the feasibility of a solid model based statistical tolerance analysis computer program.
This paper focuses on the solid modeler capabilities that are needed by statistical tolerance analysis, the need for assembly of parts and subassemblies, and the geometric representation of dimensions and tolerances.
Solid modeling permits automatic interference checking when parts and assemblies vary. In addition to this, solid modeling can also be used to check the path of assembly, (the path the part must take to reach its final assembly position).
Feature based assembly of parts is needed for statistical tolerance analysis, and the solid modeler must be able to represent these features parametrically through their dimensions in a way such that they can be reconstructed when the dimensions vary.
CitationHura, C., Caron, N., Kanik, J., and Hunt, W., "Statistical Tolerance Analysis Using Solid Modeling," SAE Technical Paper 881245, 1988, https://doi.org/10.4271/881245.
- The CAM-I Draft Applications Interface Specification, Volume II. Computer Aided Manufacturing-International, Inc.
- Evans, David H., and Falkenburg, Donald R., “Computer Programs for the Quadrature Approximation for Statistical Tolerancing,” Journal of Quality Technology, Vol. 8, No. 2, April, 1976, pp. 108-114.
- Cox, Neil D., “Volume II: How to Perform Statistical Tolerance Analysis,” ASQC Basic References in Quality Control: Statistical Techniques. American Society for Quality Control, Milwaukee, 1986.
- Cox, N. D., “Tolerance Analysis by Computer,” Journal of Quality Technology, Vol. 11, No. 2, April, 1979, pp. 80-87.
- Parkinson, D. B., “Assessment and Optimization of Dimensional Tolerances,” Computer Aided Design, Vol. 16, No. 1, January, 1984, pp. 25-32.
- Parkinson, D. B., “Assessment and Optimization of Dimensional Tolerances,” Computer Aided Design, Vol. 17, No. 4, May, 1985, pp. 191-199.
- Evans, David H., “Statistical Tolerancing: The State of the Art. Part I. Background,” Journal of Quality Technology, Vol. 6, No. 4, October, 1974, pp. 188-195.
- Evans, David H., “Statistical Tolerancing: The State of the Art. Part II. Methods for Estimating Moments,” Journal of Quality Technology, Vol. 7, No. 1, January, 1975, pp. 1-12.
- Chase, K. W., Greenwood, W. H., “Design Issues in Mechanical Tolerance Analysis,” Manufacturing Review, Vol. 1, No. 1, March, 1988, pp. 50-59.
- Spotts, M. F., “Running the Risk of Interference Fits,” Machine Design, July 21, 1977, pp. 106-111.
- Evans, David H., “A Statistical Tolerancing Formulation,” Journal of Quality Technology, Vol. 2, No. 4, October, 1970, pp. 226-231.