This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
New Mixture Formation Technology of Direct Fuel Injection Stratified Charge Si Engine (OSKA) - Test Result with Gasoline Fuel
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 01, 1988 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The new idea incorporates an impinging part in the central piston cavity. A relatively low injection pressure, lower than that of a conventional IDI Diesel engine, and a single hole fuel nozzle are used. The fuel spray is injected against the impinging part, spreads and forms a fuel-air mixture. Since a comparatively rich fuel-air mixture always stays around the impinging part and ignition is accomplished near the center of the mixture, steady, instantaneous and high-speed combustion is possible.
As the fuel-air mixture is formed mostly in the cavity, there is little fuel in the squish area. Therefore, it is possible to prevent end-gas knocking, and in spite of the use of spark ignition, to employ a higher compression ratio than that of the conventional premixed SI engine. Experiments with a single cylinder prototype (4-stroke cycle) engine with gasoline fuel showed that the maximum BMEP was 1.0 MPa and the maximum brake thermal efficiency was 37.7 % (217 g/kW.h). The maximum BMEP is almost equivalent to that of a carbureted automobile gasoline engine, and the brake thermal efficiency is equivalent to that of a Direct Injection Diesel engine with the same displacement volume. Exhaust emission was also measured.
|Technical Paper||New Type of Diesel Engine by Impingement of Fuel Jet (OSKA-D)|
|Technical Paper||Combustion Chamber Deposit Effects on Hydrocarbon Emissions from a Spark-Ignition Engine|
|Special Publication||Combustion, Flow Diagnostics, and In-Cylinder Velocity Measurement|
CitationKato, S. and Onishi, S., "New Mixture Formation Technology of Direct Fuel Injection Stratified Charge Si Engine (OSKA) - Test Result with Gasoline Fuel," SAE Technical Paper 881241, 1988, https://doi.org/10.4271/881241.
- KatoS. & OnishiS.;“New Mixture Formation Technology of Direct Fuel Injection Stratified Combustion SI Engine (OSKA)”,SAE Paper 871689,(1987).
- MatsuokaS.,et al;The 3rd Internal Combustion Engine Symposium of Japan, (1982).
- KaritaS.,et al;The Bulletin of JSME (Part B), 51-471, (1985).
- SaitoA.,et al;The 6th Internal Combustion Engine Symposium of Japan, (1987).
- YoshikawaS.,et al;The 6th Internal Combustion Engine Symposium of Japan, (1978).
- TaniY.,et al;The 6th Internal Combustion Engine Symposium of Japan,(1987).
- MatsuokaS.,et al;“The Thermal Efficiency and a Future Concept of Gasoline Engine and Diesel Engine from the View Point of Cycle Theory”;Internal Combustion Engine,Sankaido,Vol.21, No.265, (1982-7).