This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Application of Map Width Enhancement Devices to Turbocharger Compressor Stages
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 01, 1988 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Conventional centrifugal compressors as used in turbochargers can limit the operating range of the diesel engine. In response to this problem a range of compressor stages has been development with enhanced map width. This has been achieved through the use of an inducer recirculating bypass. The device gives improved surge margin at all pressure ratios and an increase in the choking flow of the compressor stage. This gives the opportunity for greater flexibility in engine matching including improved altitude capability, broader speed range engines or increased torque back up.
CitationFisher, F., "Application of Map Width Enhancement Devices to Turbocharger Compressor Stages," SAE Technical Paper 880794, 1988, https://doi.org/10.4271/880794.
- Kammer N. Rautenberg, M. “A Distinction between Different Types of Stall in Centrifugal Compressor Stage” ASME 85-GT-194 March 1985
- Kammer N. Rautenberg, M. “An experimental Investigation of Rotating Stall Flow in a Centrifugal Compressor” ASME 82-GT-82
- Berenyi S. G. Raffa, C. J. “Variable Area Turbocharger for High Output Diesel Engines” SAE/SP-79/442/790064
- Rodgers, C. “Impeller Stalling as Influenced by Diffusion Limitations” Jrnl. FL Eng Mar. 1977
- Harp J. L. Oatway, T. P. “Centrifugal Compressor Development for a Variable Area Turbocharger” SAE/SP-79/444/790066
- Harp J. L. Yano, R. A. “Development of a Broad Range Turbocharger using Compressor-to-Turbine Bleed” SAE 820327
- Takata H. Tsukuda, Y. “Study on the Mechanism of Stall Margin Improvement of Casing Treatment” ASME 75-GT-13
- Jansen, W. Carter A. F. Swarden, H. C. “Improvements in Surge Margin for Centrifugal Compressors” AGARD 55th Conference Brussels 1980
- Chapman, D. C. “Model 250/C30/C288 Compressor Development” AGARD 55th Conference Brussels 1980
- Crosby A. et al, “The Design and Development of the C Series Diesel Engine” SAE 870619