This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Probabilistic Structural Analysis Methods
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 01, 1988 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The purpose in doing probabilistic structural analysis is to provide the designer with a more realistic ability to assess the importance of uncertainty in the structural response. This paper provides an overview of the methodology and discusses validation of modular structural analysis packages capable of predicting the probabilistic response distribution for key structural variables such as stress, displacement, natural frequencies, buckling loads, transient responses, etc. The structural analysis solution is in terms of the cumulative distribution function (CDF). Probabilistic structural analysis methods (PSAM) can be used to estimate structural safety and reliability, while providing the engineer with information on the confidence that should be given to the predicted behavior.
|Technical Paper||Simulation Based Probabilistic Assessment of Fatigue Life of Structural Components|
CitationBurnside, O. and Wu, Y., "Probabilistic Structural Analysis Methods," SAE Technical Paper 880784, 1988, https://doi.org/10.4271/880784.
- Liu Wing Kam Belytschko Ted Mani S. “Random Field Finite Elements,” Int. J. for Numer. Meth. in Sngnr. 23 1381 1845 1986
- Augusti Giuliano Baratta Alessandro Casciati Fabio Probabilistic Methods in Structural Engineering Chapman and Hall London and New York 1984
- Rackwitz R. Fiessler B. “Structural Reliability Under Combined Load Sequences,” Computers and Structures 9 489 494 1978
- Wu Y.-T. “Demonstration of a New, Fast Probability Integration Method for Reliability Analysis,” J. of Engnr. for Industry ASME 109 Feb. 1987
- Wu Y.-T. Burnside O.H. Dominguez J. “Efficient Probabilistic Fracture Mechanics Analysis,” Fourth International Conference on Numerical Methods in Fracture Mechanics. San Antonio, Texas March 1987
- Handa K. Anderson K. “Application of Finite Element Methods in Statistical Analysis of Structures,” Proc. ICOSSAR ′81, 3rd. Int. Conf. Struct. Safety and Reliability Trondheim, Norway 109 417 1981
- Hisada T. Nakagiri S. “Stochastic Finite Element Method Developed for Structural Safety and Reliability,” Proc. ICOSSAR ′81, 3rd Int. Conf. Struct. Safety and Reliability Trondheim, Norway 395 408 1981
- Nakagiri S. Hisada T. Nagasaki T. “Stochastic Stress Analysis of Assembled Structure,” 5th. Int. Conf. Pressure Vessel Technology, Vol I: Design and Analysis ASME Book No. G00242 197 207 1984
- Dias J. B. Magtegaal J. C. “Efficient Algorithms for Use in Probabilistic Finite Element Analysis,” Advances in Aerospace Structural Analysis , AD-09 ASME 37 50 1985
- Simo J. C. “Regular Perturbation Schemes for the Iterative Solution of Symmetric Eigenvalue Problems,” MARC Analysis Research Corporation Report 1985