This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Analysis of a Heavy-Duty Diesel Piston Inducing Material, Air Gap, and Thermal Barrier Coating Effects
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1988 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This work evaluates the thermal and structural integrity of a heavy duty diesel piston using finite element analysis. The effects of aluminum, ductile iron, and superalloy piston materials; air gaps; and plasma-sprayed zirconia coating on piston temperature and stress, as well as on heat flux through the piston, are assessed.
The coating lowered the heat flux through the piston 56 percent and caused other changes in the piston to have an insignificant effect on the heat flux.
The air gaps had the least effect on heat flux with substantially lower safety margins than pistons without air gaps.
|Technical Paper||Parameterization and FEA Approach for the Assessment of Piston Characteristics|
|Technical Paper||DESIGN AND FATIGUE LIFE EVALUATION OF PISTONS FOR HIGH BMEP DIESEL ENGINES|
CitationFrisch, S., "Analysis of a Heavy-Duty Diesel Piston Inducing Material, Air Gap, and Thermal Barrier Coating Effects," SAE Technical Paper 880671, 1988, https://doi.org/10.4271/880671.
- Bryzik, W. Kamo, R. “TACOM/Cummins Adiabatic Engine Program,” SAE 830314. SP-543 1983
- Kamo, R. Bryzik, W. “Cummins/TACOM Advanced Adiabatic Engine,” SAE 840428. SP-571 1984
- Hoag, K. L. Brands, M. C. Bryzik, W. “Cummins/TACOM Adiabatic Engine Program,” SAE 850356. SP-610 1985
- Elsbett, K- Elsbett, G. Elsbett, L. Behrens, M. “The Ferrum Piston for Diesel Engines - a Two-Piece Articulated Piston Design,” SAE 850505 1985
- Seale, W. J. Taylor, D.H.C. “Spatial variation of Heat Transfer to Pistons and Liners of Some Medium Speed Diesel Engines,” Proc. tnstn. Mech. Engrs. 185 17 1971
- Moore, C. H. Hoehne, J. L. “Combustion Chamber Insulation Effect on the Performance of a Low Heat Rejection Cummins V-903 Engine,” SAE 860317. SP-560 1986
- Anderson, V.L. McLean, R.A. Design of Experiments Marcel Dekker, Inc. N.Y. NY. 1974