This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Design Feasibility of a Free Piston Internal Combustion Engine/Hydraulic Pump
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1988 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A direct acting free piston internal combustion engine/hydrostatic pump is analyzed. This device would take the place of a conventional engine-driven hydrostatic pump, and would be expected to offer significant advantages in cost, weight, and efficiency. The free piston configuration eliminates the need for a crankshaft-connecting rod system, and the comparable mechanism of the pump that converts rotary to reciprocating motion. Analysis of the design was done by computer simulation using a thermodynamic model of the combustion cylinder in combination with the system dynamics. A parametric study was performed to determine operating characteristics with a wide variety of mechanical parameters, and as a guide to developing a preliminary design. The results show that good performance is possible with reasonable mechanical dimensions and other parameters. Several different design configurations are presented.
CitationLi, L. and Beachley, N., "Design Feasibility of a Free Piston Internal Combustion Engine/Hydraulic Pump," SAE Technical Paper 880657, 1988, https://doi.org/10.4271/880657.
- Beachley, N.H. “Control Strategies for an Internal Combustion Engine/Accumulator Energy-Storage Automobile” Proceedings, Symposium on Advanced & Hybrid Vehicles, University of Strathclyde Glasgow, Scotland Sept. 1984
- Wu, P. Luo, N. Fronczak, F.J. Beachley, N.H. “Fuel Economy and Operating Characteristics of a Hydropneumatic Energy Storage Automobile” SAE paper 851678 1985
- Beachley, N.H. Anscomb, C. Burrows, CR. “Minimization of Energy Storage Requirements for Internal Combustion Engine Hybrid Vehicles” Journal of Dynamics Systems, Measurement, and Control June 1983 Vol. 105 113 119
- Hibi, A. “Hydraulic Free Piston Internal Combustion Engine” Power March and April 1984
- Hibi, A. Kumagai, S. “Hydraulic Free Piston Internal Combustion Engine-Test Result” Power September 1984
- Heintz, R.P. “Theory of Operation of a Free Piston Engine-Pump” SAE paper 859316 1985
- Heintz, R.P. “Free Piston Engine-Pump/Hydrostatic Motor Control Concepts” Proceedings , 22nd Inter-society Energy Conversion Engineering Conference Aug. 1987 969 974
- Judge, A.W. High Speed Diesel Engine D. Van Nostrand Princeton, NJ 5th edition 1957 23 30
- Ricardo, H.R. The High-Speed Internal Combustion Engine Blackie & Son, Ltd. London 4th edition 1953 57
- Li, L. “The Design Feasibility of the Hydraulic Free Piston Engine” Master's Thesis University of Wisconsin-Madison Dec. 1986