This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Statistics of Double Lane Change Handling Tests Conducted on Tires Differing in Tread Compound Physical Properties
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1988 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Variability in the double lane change test, a common subjective handling test, is defined based on the specific test used by BFGoodrich in 1982. Eight test protocol elements apparently required to ensure one half rating paint discrimination at 90 percent or greater confidence are reported. Further study of four points is recommended prior to routine use of the protocol elements. All results derive from statistically designed blind tests of 12 specifications differing widely in tread compound properties. Ratings varied from four to seven.
CitationFairlie, A. and Pottinger, M., "Statistics of Double Lane Change Handling Tests Conducted on Tires Differing in Tread Compound Physical Properties," SAE Technical Paper 880583, 1988, https://doi.org/10.4271/880583.
- Belsdorf, M. R. Rice, R. S. Bird, K. D. “Performance Tasks as Measures of Vehicle Handling Qualities at the Limit of Performance” SAE 710081 1971
- Bergman, W. “Measurement and Subjective Evaluation of Vehicle Handling” SAE 730492 1973
- Lincke, W. Richter, B. Schmidt, R. “Simulation and Measurement of Driver Vehicle Handling Performance” SAE 730489 1973
- Fancher, P. Segel, L. Bernard, J. Ervin, R. “Test Procedures for Studying Vehicle Dynamics in Lane-Change Maneuvers” SAE 760351 1976
- Rice R. S. Dell'Amico F. Rasmussen R. E. “Automobile Driver Characteristics and Capabilities - The Man-off-The-Street” SAE 760777 1976
- Weir D. H. DiMarco, R. J. “Correlation and Evaluation of Driver/Vehicle Directional Handling Data” SAE 780010 1978
- Bergman, W. “Correlation Between Open and Closed Loop Vehicle Handling Measurements” SAE 800846 1980
- McRuer D. Klein, R. “Effects of Automobile Steering characteristics on Driver/Vehicle Performance for Regulation Tasks” SAE 760778 1976
- Maeda, T. Irie, N. Hidka, K. Nishimura, H. “Performance of Driver-Vehicle System in Emergency Avoidance” SAE 770130 1977
- Allen, R. W. “Stability and Performance Analysis of Automobile Driver Steering Control” SAE 820303 1982
- Joy T. J. P. Hartley, D. C. “Tyre Characteristics as Applicable to Vehicle Stability Problems” Proceedings of The Institution of Mechanical Engineers , Division 6 113 122 1953
- Nordeen, D. L. “Application of Tire Characterizing Functions to Tire Development” SAE 680409 1968
- Pearson E. S. Hartley, H. D. Biometrika Tables for Statisticians Vol. I 169 75 Cambridge University Press 1966
- Brownlee, K. A. “The Theory of Chemical Sampling” 132 Industrial Experimentation Chemical Publishing Co. New York, N.Y. 1953