This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Piston and Ring Friction by the Fixed Sleeve Method
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1988 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A new technique termed the “fixed sleeve” method has been developed to measure the instantaneous friction of the piston and ring assembly as a function of crank angle. This method is a derivative of what has been termed the “moveable bore” method. Results are presented for friction determinations on a 4.1 litre gasoline engine for motoring and firing operation at a variety of speeds, loads, and engine temperatures. The effects of liner surface finish, piston mass, and finally removal of various piston rings are reported. The technique appears very promising for rapid evaluation of piston, ring, and liner variables.
CitationKu, Y. and Patterson, D., "Piston and Ring Friction by the Fixed Sleeve Method," SAE Technical Paper 880571, 1988, https://doi.org/10.4271/880571.
- Groth, K. “Recent Methods for Investigating Friction Losses in Engine Running Gear,” (in German) Schiff & Hafen Oct. 1977
- McGeehan, J. A. “A Literature Review of the Effects of Piston and Ring Friction and Lubricating Oil Viscosity on Fuel Economy,” SAE Paper 780673 1978
- Ku Young-Gon “A Study of Piston and Ring Friction in an Internal Combustion Engine,” Ph.D. Thesis 1987
- Forbes J. E. Taylor, E. S. “A Method for Studying Piston Friction,” NACA Wartime Report March 1943
- Stanton, T. E. “The Friction of Pistons and Piston Rings,” Reports and Memoranda No. 931 Aeronautical Research Committee London July 1924
- Furuhama S. et. al. “Measurement of Piston Friction Force in Actual Operating Diesel Engine,” SAE Paper 790855 1979
- Furuhama S. et. al. “Effect of Piston and Piston Ring Designs on the Piston Friction Force in Diesel Engines,” SAE Paper 810977 1981
- Krause, H. H. “Lubrication, Friction and Wear on a Piston-Ring-Cylinder System in a Piston Engine, Part I,” (in German)” Schmiertechnik und Tribologie vol. 29 no. 3 1982 98 103
- Mollenhauer K. Bruchner, K. “Contribution to the Determination of the Influence of Cylinder Pressure and Engine Speed on Engine Friction,” (in German)” MTZ vol. 41 1980 265 268
- Uras H. M. Patterson D. J. “Measurement of Piston and Ring Assembly Friction by the Instantaneous IMEP Method,” SAE Paper 8300416 1983
- Uras H. M. Patterson, D. J. “Effect of Some Lubricant and Engine Variables on Instantaneous Piston and Ring Asssembly Friction,” SAE Paper 840178 1984
- Uras H. M. Patterson, D. J. “Effect of Some piston Variables on Piston and Ring Assembly Friction,” SAE Paper 870088 1987
- Hamilton G.M. et. al. “The Partially Lubricated Piston Ring,” J. Mech. Eng. Sci. v. 19 no. 2 1977 81 89