This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A System Approach to Smart-Sensors and Smart-Actuators Design
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1988 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Traditional sensor and actuator design focuses on the sensor or actuator elements themselves, since their interconnection to the rest of the system is well established in the related specifications <0>.
The advent of smart-sensors and smart-actuators requires a new design approach, where the focus of attention is wider and multi-disciplinary in nature. It is not enough to optimize the sensor or actuator itself; instead, a ‘systems’ approach is necessary and requires the understanding not only of sensors and actuators, but also of several other related technologies.
By following a systems approach, the sensor and actuator designs are not isolated processes but parts of an overall process that strives for total system optimization. We will attempt to review some aspects of the electronics side of it.
CitationAlba, M., "A System Approach to Smart-Sensors and Smart-Actuators Design," SAE Technical Paper 880554, 1988, https://doi.org/10.4271/880554.
- Wolber, W. Ebaugh, P. “Automotive Engine Control Sensors '85” SAE Congress 1985, Sensors & Actuators Session, SAE Paper 850491
- Cole, D. “The Electric Car Made It After All“” Convergence '86 Proceedings, SAE Paper 861046
- Cole, D. Doyle, R. “Delphi IV Forecast and Analysis of the U.S. Auto Industry Through 1995, Vol. II” University of Michigan June 1987
- Rivard, J. “Automotive Electronics In the Year 2000” Convergence '86 Proceedings, SAE Paper 861027
- Giachino, J. “Smart Sensors” Sensors and Actuators 10 1986
- Alba, M. “Tradeoffs in Smart Sensor System Partitioning” Sensors Expo '87 Proceedings Helmers Publishing 1987
- Eleccion, M. “Sensors Tap IC Technology to Add More Functions” Electronics June 2 1986
- Glas, H.J. Kuhnt, W. Stecher, G. “Integrated Hvbrid Pressure Sensor Using a Piezoresistive Thickfilm Sensor Element” SAE Congress 1987, Sensors & Actuators Session, SAE Paper 870286
- Anastasia, C. Pestana, G. “A Cylinder Pressure Sensor for Closed Loop Engine Control” SAE Congress 1987, Sensors & Actuators Session, SAE Paper 870288
- Bessho M. et al “High Reliability High Pressure Sensor for Automotive Use” SAE Congress 1987, Sensors & Actuators Session, SAE Paper 870289
- Dell'Acqua R. Dell'Orto G. “High Pressure Thick Film Monolithic Sensors” SAE Congress 1986, Sensors & Actuators Session, SAE Paper 860474
- Gonsalves E. et al “Sensor for Monitoring Automotive Coolant Condition” SAE Congress 1987, Sensors & Actuators Session, SAE Paper 870475
- National Semiconductor Corp. “Surface Mount Packaging” Publication No. 980085-001 1985
- Walker, J. “TapePak: The Low Cost/High Leadcount VLSI Package” National Semiconductor Publications 1987
- Heinz, F. Zabler, E. “Motor Vehicles Sensors Based on Film Technology: an Interesting Alternative to Semiconductor Sensors” SAE Congress 1987, Sensors & Actuators Session, SAE Paper 870477
- “Smart Sensors will Help Cut Wiring that Clogs Systems” Electronics April 30 1987
- Proctor, J. “LM34/LM35 Precision Monolithic Temperature Sesnsors” National Semiconductor Application Note 460 October 1986
- Lee, K. Walker, B. “Silicon Micromachining Technology for Automotive Applications” SAE Congress 1986, Sensors & Actuators Session, SAE Paper 860470
- Leuliette, T. “Automotive Sensors - The Time for the Revolution Has Come” Keynote Address- Sensors Expo '87, Sensors Expo '87 Proceedings Helmers Publishing 1987
- Mallon, J. Grace, R. “Automotive Applications for Solid-State Sensors and Silicon Microstructures” Sensors Expo '87 Proceedings Helmers Publishing 1987
- Brysek, J. Mallon, J. “Silicon Sensors and Microstructures: Markets, Trends and Technologies” Sensors Expo '86 Proceedings Helmers Publishing 1986
- SAE “Smart Power: Automotive Applications” Future Transportation Technology Conference and Exposition 1987, SAE Publication SP-719
- Electro “Power ICs and Smart Power IC Technology” Electro '86, Session Record, E-13 May 1986
- Antognetti, P. “Power Integrated Circuits” MacGraw-Hill 1986
- Rumennik, V. “Power Devices in the Chips” IEEE Spectrum July 1985
- Hillyer, M. “Using Motors in Automotive Multiplex Systems” SAE Congress 1986, Multiplexing Session, SAE Paper 860394
- Huntzicker, F. “An Integrated Door System Using Multiplexing” SAE Congress 1987, Multiplexing Session, SAE Paper 870519
- SAE “Multiplexing” SAE Congress 1986, Multiplexing Session, SAE Publication SP-666
- Evans, W. “Applications of ISO Reference Model to Automotive Multiplexing” SAE Congress '85, Multiplexing Session, SAE Paper 850018
- Jurgen, R. “Coming from Detroit: Networks on Wheels” IEEE Spectrum June 1986
- de Neufville, R. Stafford, J. “Systems Analysis for Engineers and Managers” McGraw-Hill 1971
- Garrett, P. “Computer Interface Engineering for Real-Time Systems, A Model Based Approach” Prentice-Hall 1987