This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Durability of Adhesively Bonded Coated Steels
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1988 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Adhesive joint durability was compared for the following sheet steels: bare, hot-dip galvanized, electrogalvanized, zinc-nickel electroalloyed, zinc-iron electroalloyed, Zincrometal, Zincroplex/electrogalvanized, Zincroplex/zinc-nickel electroalloyed, and chromium oxide electrogalvanized. Experiments monitored lap-shear joint strength with exposure to a corrosive environment. Results show durability depends on the corrosion resistance of the steel sheet. Durability was generally greater with coated steel sheet and particularly with chromium oxide electrogalvanized steels.
|Technical Paper||DOE Analysis of Factors Affecting Ultimate Strength of Multiple Resistance Spot Welded Joints|
|Technical Paper||Adhesive Bonding of Aluminium|
|Technical Paper||Design Considerations for Aluminum Fasteners|
CitationArnold, J., "Durability of Adhesively Bonded Coated Steels," SAE Technical Paper 880531, 1988, https://doi.org/10.4271/880531.
- Tremonti K.P. “Automotive Applications for Structural Adhesives” in” Proceedings of the 1986 SME Conference on Automotive Adhesive Applications Society of Manufacturing Engineers Detroit 1986 99 103
- Chang, Y.F. Chun, W. Kish, T. Tremonti K.P “Bonding Automotive Hoods to Eliminate Spot Welds” Adhesives Age February 1986 27
- Arnold J.R. “Durability of Lap-shear Adhesive Joints with Coated Steels in Corrosive Environments” SAE publication 862009 in Proceedings of the Automotive and Corrosion and Prevention Conference Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc. Warrendale, PA December 1986 23 29
- Gosselin C.A. “The Durability of Lap-Shear Adhesive Bonds Following Accelerated Environmental Testing” SAE publication 850211 In Corrosion Protection, Resistance and Testing Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc. Warrendale, PA December 1985 15 23
- Arnold J.R. “Adhesive Joint Durability with Automotive Coated Steel Sheet” Proceedings of the 29th Mechanical Working and Steel Processing Conference Iron and Steel Society Warrendale, PA October 1987
- ASTM Subcommittee DI4.80 “Standard Test Method for Strength Properties of Adhesives in Shear by Tension Loading (Metal-to-Metal)” 1985 Annual Book of ASTM Standards vol. 15.06 ASTM Philadelphia 1985 61 65