This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Effect of Fumigation of Different Ethanol Proofs on a Turbocharged Diesel Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1988 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Lower proof ethanol is shown to be a viable alternate fuel for diesel engines. This type of ethanol can be manufactured economically in small distillation plants from renewable grain supplies. The effect of fumigation of ethanol proofs with a multipoint injection system on a turbocharged direct injection diesel engine at 2,400 rpm and three loads was studied. The addition of the water in the lower proofs reduced the maximum rate of pressure rise and peak pressure from pure ethanol levels. Both of these values were significantly higher than those for diesel operation. HC and CO emissions increased several times over diesel levels at all loads and also with increased ethanol fumigation. NO emissions were reduced below diesel levels for lower proof ethanol at all loads. The tests at this rpm and load with a multipoint ethanol injection system indicate that lower (100 or 125) proof provides optimum performance.
|Technical Paper||Ethanol Fumigation of a Light Duty Automotive Diesel Engine|
|Technical Paper||Ethanol Fumigation of a Turbocharged Diesel Engine|
|Technical Paper||Autoignition of Methanol and Ethanol Sprays under Diesel Engine Conditions|
- S. C. Sorenson - Technical University of Denmark Lyngby, Denmark
- T. K. Hayes - Dept. of Mech. and Ind. Engineering University of Illinois at U-C
- L. D. Savage - Dept. of Mech. and Ind. Engineering University of Illinois at U-C
- R. A. White - Dept. of Mech. and Ind. Engineering University of Illinois at U-C
CitationHayes, T., Savage, L., White, R., and Sorenson, S., "The Effect of Fumigation of Different Ethanol Proofs on a Turbocharged Diesel Engine," SAE Technical Paper 880497, 1988, https://doi.org/10.4271/880497.
- Heinsy, J. B. Lestz, S. S. “Aqueous Alcohol Fumigation, of a Single-Cylinder DI Diesel Engine,” SAE Paper No. 811208
- Shropshire, G. J. Goering, C. E. “Ethanol Injection into a Diesel Engine,” ASAE Paper No. 81-1051
- Chen, J., et al., “Ethanol Fumigation of a Turbocharged Diesel Engine,” SAE Paper No. 810680
- Baranescu, R. A. “Fumigation of Alcohols in a Multicylinder Diesel Engine—Evaluation of Potential,” SAE Paper No. 860308
- Valdmanis, E. Wulfhorst, D. E. “The Effects of Emulsified Fuels and Water Induction on Diesel Combustion,” SAE Paper No. 700736
- Hayes, T. K. Savage, L. D. Sorenson, S. C. “Cylinder Pressure Data Acquisition and Heat Release Analysis on a Personal Computer,” SAE Paper No. 860029