This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Effect of Diesel injection Timing on a Turbocharged Diesel Engine Fumigated with Ethanol
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1988 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A study has been done to determine the effect of changes in diesel injection timing on engine performance using a multicylinder, turbo-charged diesel engine fumigated with ethanol. Tests at half load with engine speeds of 2000 and 2400 rpm indicated that a 4% increase in thermal efficiency could be obtained by advancing the diesel injection timing from 18 to 29 °BTDC. The effect of changes in diesel timing was much more pronounced at 2400 rpm. Advancing the diesel timing decreased CO and unburned HC levels significantly. The increase in NO levels due to advances in diesel timing was offset by the decrease in NO due to ethanol addition.
- A. R. Schroeder - Dept. of Mech. and Ind. Engineering University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign Urbana, IL
- L. D. Savage - Dept. of Mech. and Ind. Engineering University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign Urbana, IL
- R. A. White - Dept. of Mech. and Ind. Engineering University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign Urbana, IL
- S. C. Sorenson - Technical University of Denmark Lyngby, Denmark
CitationSchroeder, A., Savage, L., White, R., and Sorenson, S., "The Effect of Diesel injection Timing on a Turbocharged Diesel Engine Fumigated with Ethanol," SAE Technical Paper 880496, 1988, https://doi.org/10.4271/880496.
- Roberts, B. D. “Performance and Emissions of a Turbocharged Diesel Engine Fumigated with Ethanol,” M.S. Thesis University of lll. at U-C 1986
- Hayes, T. K. “The Effect of Fumigation of Different Ethanol Proofs on a Turbocharged Diesel Engine,” M.S. Thesis University of lll. at U-C 1986
- Donnelly, J. White, H. “Water and Alcohol Use in Automotive Diesel Engines,” U.S. Dept. of Energy Report DOE/CS/50285-4 1983
- Baranescu, R. A. “Fumigation of Alcohols in a Multicylinder Diesel Engine-Evaluation of Potential,” SAE Paper 860308 Int. Cong, and Exposition Feb. 24-28 1986 Detroit, MI
- Chen, J. Gussert, D. Gao, X. Gupta, C Foster, D. “Ethanol Fumigation of a Turbocharged Diesel Engine,” SAE Paper 810680 1981
- Cruz, J. M. Rotz, C. A. Watson, D. H. “Dual-Fueling Turbocharged Diesels with Ethanol,” ASAE paper 81-1052 1981
- Walter, J. R. Kaufman, K. R. “Dual-Fueling a Farm Tractor with Ethanol,” ASAE Paper 80-1050 1981
- Hayes, T. K. Savage L. D. Sorenson, S. C “Cylinder Pressure Data Acquisition and Heat Release Analysis on a Personal Computer,” SAE Paper 860029 1986
- Gao, X. Chen, J. Ye, Z. Foster D. Borman, G. “Ignition Delay and Heat Release Analysis of an Ethanol Fumigated Turbocharged Diesel Engine,” ASME Paper No. 83-DGP-1 1983
- Ecklund, E. E. Bechtold, R. L. Timbario, T. J. McCallum, P. W. “State-of-the-Art Report on the Use of Alcohols in Diesel Engines,” Int. Cong. and Exposition Detroit, MI SAE Paper 840118 Feb. 27 March 2 1984