This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Variable Valve Timing for Fuel Economy Improvement — The Mitchell System
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1988 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The Mitchell mechanical Variable Valve Timing (VVT) system is described. The way in which it exploits variable angular velocity to change valve timing is explained. The system was used in a programme of work designed to investigate the effect of VVT on engine performance, particularly fuel economy. Some encouraging results are presented and recommendations made for future work.
|Technical Paper||Design and Development of a Variable Valve Timing (VVT) Camshaft|
|Technical Paper||Effect of Variable Engine Valve Timing on Fuel Economy|
|Technical Paper||A Review and Classification of Variable Valve Timing Mechanisms|
CitationGriffiths, P. and Mistry, K., "Variable Valve Timing for Fuel Economy Improvement — The Mitchell System," SAE Technical Paper 880392, 1988, https://doi.org/10.4271/880392.
- Bruins H.J. “Variable Valve Timing for Cruise Efficiency” Automotive Design Engineer January 1968
- Fujio Nagao et al “Valve Timing Control by a Hydraulic Tappet with a Leak Hole” JSME Vol 11 48 1968
- Garrett K. “Electronically Controlled Valve Timing” The South African Mechanical Engineer Vol 29 October 1979
- Roe G.E. “Variable Valve Timing Unit Suitable for Internal Combustion Engines” Proc Instn Mech Engrs 1972 Vol 186 23
- “Variable Inlet Valve Timing Aids Fuel Economy” Chartered Mechanical Engineer April 1984
- Herrin Ronald J. Pozniak Donald J. “A Lost Motion, Variable Valve Timing System for Automotive Piston Engines” SAE 840335 , International Congress & Exposition 1984
- Charlton S. J. “ A Continuously Variable Poppet Valve Actuator for Internal Combustion Engines” Proc Instn Mech Engrs Vol 200 A3 1986
- Titolo A. “Variable Valve Control form Fiat” MTZ Motortechnische Zeitschrift 47 1986 5
- United Kingdom (GB) Patent GB 2066361
- Freeman M.A. Nicholson R.C. “Valve Timing for Control Of Oxides of Nitrogen” SAE 720121 1972
- Siewart R.M. “How Individual Valve Timing Events affect Exhaust Emissions” SAE 710609 1971
- Meacham G.B.K. “Variable Cam Timing as an Emission Control Tool” SAE 700673 1970
- Fujio Nagao et al “Relation between Inlet Valve Closing Angle and Volumetric Efficiency of a Four Stroke Engine” JSME Bulletin Vol 12 52 1969