This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Weldability and Electrode Wear Characteristics of Hot-Dip Galvanized Steel With and Without a Ferrophos Containing Primer
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1988 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This study examined the effect of primers containing a conductive pigment on the resistance spot weldability of hot-dip galvanized steel. The pigment used was ferrophos, essentially Di-iron phosphide. Basically, two types of tests were used in this work. Current range tests were used to establish the effect these primers have on the effective ranges of weldability. Limited electrode life tests were used to infer the long term performance of the hot-dip galvanized steels with and without this paint.
It was found that the addition of the Ferrophos bearing paints had pronounced effects on weldability. Typically, required current levels were reduced by several thousand amps, and effective current ranges were increased by 50 to 100 percent.
During electrode life testing significant reductions were also noted both in the rates of electrode face diameter increase, and the degree of electrode pitting. In addition, improvements were noted in the degree of current range shifts for a given level of electrode wear.
|Technical Paper||An Advanced Aluminum-Tin-Silicon Engine Bearing Alloy and its Performance Characteristics|
|Technical Paper||Newly Developed PM High Strength Steel|
CitationGould, J., Kimchi, M., and Campbell, D., "Weldability and Electrode Wear Characteristics of Hot-Dip Galvanized Steel With and Without a Ferrophos Containing Primer," SAE Technical Paper 880370, 1988, https://doi.org/10.4271/880370.
SAE Transactions Journal of Materials
Number: V97-2; Published: 1989-09-01
Number: V97-2; Published: 1989-09-01
- Mackosiak, J. Short, N.R. 1979 Metallurgy of galvanized coatings International Metallurgical Reviews 1 1 19
- 1966 Recommended practices for resistance welding AWS C1.1-66 Miami, Florida American Welding Society
- 1970 Recommended practice for resistance welding coated low carbon steels AWS CI. 3-70 Miami, Florida American Welding Society
- Gould, J.E. Adamczyk, R.D. White, M.W. 1987 Resistance spot welding of some one-side coated sheet steels EWI technical report MR 8801 Columbus, Ohio Edison Welding Institute
- 1984 Specifications and procedure for determining the weldability of body sheet materials MDS-247 Detroit, Michigan Fisher Body Division, General Motors Corporation
- Gedon, S.A. Eagar, T.W. 1986 Spot welding of galvanized steel - part II mechanisms of spot weld nugget formation Met. Trans. 17B 4 887 901
- Boman, J. 1986 An investigation of dynamic resistance curves produced during spot welding galvanized steels Masters Thesis Ohio State University Columbus, Ohio
- Nied, H.A. 1984 The finite element modelling of the resistance spot welding process Welding Journal Research Supplement 63 4 123s 132s
- Bowers, R.J. Eagar, T.W. 1986 Nonuniform current distribution in spot welding Sheet Metal Welding Conference II Detroit, Michigan AWS Detroit Chapter
- Ganowski, F.J. Williams, N.T. 1972 Advances in resistance spot and seam welding of zinc-coated steel strip Sheet Metal Industries ll 692 705
- Campbell, D.H. Miller, G. Occidental Chemical Company
- Frytag, N.A. 1965 A comprehensive study of spot welding galvanized steel Welding Journal Research Supplement 4 145s 156s
- Savage, W.F. Nippes, E.F. Wassell, F.A. 1978 Dynamic contact resistance of series spot welds Welding Journal Research Supplement 57 2 43-s 50-s
- 1974 Welding acceptance test for galvanized steel Quality laboratory and chemical engineering test methods BA13-1 Detroit, Michigan Ford Motor Company
- Johnson, K.I. 1975 Spot welding electrode life tests on galvanized steel sheet TWI research report P/74/75 Abington, England The Welding Institute
- Gould, J.E. 1986 The effect of welding time and electrode diameter on electrode life when resistance spot welding galvanized steel Sheet Metal Welding Conference II Detroit, Michigan AWS Detroit Chapter
- Gould, J.E. Peterson, W.A. 1987 Resistance welding research evaluations on coated steels - part 4: preliminary electrode life results EWI technical report Columbus, Ohio Edison Welding Institute