This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Die Materials and Treatments with Electrogalvaniied Steels
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1988 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Frictional characteristics and galling tendencies were examined for three sheet metal forming die materials - cast steel, gray cast iron, and nodular cast iron - with four die treatments - unhardened, flame hardened, ion nitrided, and chrome plated. Repetitive testing was performed using a draw bead simulator and an electrogalvanized, free zinc coated steel with a nominal coating weight of 70 g/m2 per side. No die material/treatment condition significantly decreased friction. Higher friction was exhibited with chrome plated cast iron draw beads. Pickup of zinc on the draw beads varied with both die material and treatment. Surface irregularities arising from substrate characteristics interacting with surface treatments caused extreme die pickup. Depending on the natureand hardness of the draw bead surface treatment, the adherence of this zinc to the draw beads could be quite weak, minimizing continued local buildup. For electrogalvanized steel, ion nitrided cast iron dies and chrome plated or ion nitrided steel dies appear to offer the best combinations of consistent friction and minimal zinc transfer.
|Aerospace Material Specification||Gaseous Nitrocarburizing|
|Technical Paper||Evaluating Factors Influencing Corrosion Resistance of Chromium Plated Steel by a Two Level Designed Experiment|
CitationMeuleman, D. and Dwyer, T., "Die Materials and Treatments with Electrogalvaniied Steels," SAE Technical Paper 880369, 1988, https://doi.org/10.4271/880369.
- Lewis, L. Murray, M.V. “Effect of Die Hard-nessand Lubrication on Stamping Performance of One-Side Electrogalvanized and Cold-Rolled Steel Sheet,” SAE Technical Paper Series, No. 840368 1984 1 4
- Granzow, W.G. “An Investigation of the Effect of Punch Composition on the Quality of Zinc Coated Autobody Panels,” Armco Research and Technology Report Middletown, OH 1987 1 5
- Jones, L. G. “Basic Principles and Applications of Ion/Plasma Nitriding with Focus on AISI 4140,” Industrial Heating July 1987 12 14
- Nine, H.D. “Draw Bead Forces in Sheet Metal Forming,” in” Mechanics of Sheet Metal Forming, Material Behavior and Deformation Analysis Koistinenand D.P. Wang, N-M Plenum Press 1978 179 207
- Brazier, W.G. Thompson, R.W. “The Effect of Die Materials and Lubrication on the Punch Stretching and Drawing Forces of Cold Rolled and Zinc-Coated Steels,” SAE Technical Paper Series, No. 850274 1985 1 13
- Keeler, S.P. Dwyer, T.E. “Frictional Characteristics of Galvanized Steels Evaluated with a Draw Bead Simulator,” SAE Technical Paper Series, No. 860433 1986 1 9
- Meuleman, D.J. Zoldak, J.J. “The Interactions of Coated Steels, Die Materials, and Forming Lubricants,” SAE Technical Paper Series, No. 860432 1986 1 7
- Keeler, S.P. “Evaluating the Lubricity of Press Shop Lubricants on Various Types of Galvanized Steels,” AIME Mech. Working Conf. Pittsburgh, PA 1986
- Nine, H.D. “Draw Bead Forces in Sheet Metal Forming,” Mechanics of Sheet Metal Forming, Material Behavior and Deformation Analysis Koistinenand D.P. Wang N-M Plenum Press 1978 207