This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Measurement of Gaseous and Particulate Emissions from Light-Duty and Heavy-Duty Motor Vehicles Under Road Driving Conditions
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1988 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The methodology for the acquisition of proportional samples of vehicle engine exhaust gases is presented. The mini-CVS technique used is shown to correlate with full-scale CVS equipment. On the road data for regulated emissions of 15 cars are compared with an earlier survey. These data were obtained over a wide range of operating conditions including urban, rural and motorway drives. Gas chromatographic techniques have been applied to determine the emissions on the road of a range of non-regulated hydrocarbons i.e. aromatics, saturated and unsaturated species.
The mini-CVS technique together with a minidilution tunnel for the determination of particulate emissions from diesel engined vehicles is described and results from light-duty and heavyduty vehicles presented.
- C. J. Potter - Dept of Trade & Industry Warren Spring Laboratory, UK
- J. C. Bailey - Dept of Trade & Industry Warren Spring Laboratory, UK
- C. A. Savage - Dept of Trade & Industry Warren Spring Laboratory, UK
- B. Schmidl - Dept of Trade & Industry Warren Spring Laboratory, UK
- A. C. Simmonds - Dept of Trade & Industry Warren Spring Laboratory, UK
- M. L. Williams - Dept of Trade & Industry Warren Spring Laboratory, UK
CitationPotter, C., Bailey, J., Savage, C., Schmidl, B. et al., "The Measurement of Gaseous and Particulate Emissions from Light-Duty and Heavy-Duty Motor Vehicles Under Road Driving Conditions," SAE Technical Paper 880313, 1988, https://doi.org/10.4271/880313.
- Williams, C. Everett, M.T. “In-Service Emissions of 204 Vehicles Manufactured Between 1971 and 1982” Nuneaton Motor Industry Research Association 1983 Report K32126
- Smith, R. Rose, A.H. Kruse, F. “An Auto-Exhaust Proportional Sampler” Int. J. Air Wat. Pollut. 1964 8 427 440
- Potter, C.J. Savage, C.A. “The Evaluation of the Warren Spring Vehicle Exhaust Gas Proportional Sampler” Stevenage Warren Spring Laboratory 1982 LR 417
- Potter, C.J. Savage, C.A. Simmonds, A.C. “The Development and Validation of an On-Board Diesel particulates Sampler” Stevenage Warren Spring Laboratory 1985 LR 549
- Papa, L.J. “Measuring Exhaust Hydrocarbons down to parts per billion” Vehicle Emissions Part III, SAE Prog. Tech. Ser. 24 43 65 1971
- Guicherit, R. Hoogeven, A. “Sources of Primary (Precursor) Pollutants. Photochemical Smog Formation in the Netherlands” TNO Report, S-Gravenage Netherlands 1978
- Potter, C.J. Savage, C.A. “A Survey of Gaseous Pollutant Emissions from Tuned In-Service Gasoline Engined Cars over a Range of Road Operating Conditions” Stevenage Warren Spring Laboratory 1983 LR 447
- Perrin, D. “Dispersion Modelling of Concentrations of Ritrogen Oxides in London” Stevenage Warren Spring Laboratory 1986 LR 566
- Munt, P. “Traffic Monitoring Review 1985” Statistical Series No. 41 Greater London Council, HMS0 1985