This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Total Engine Friction in Four Stroke S.I. Motorcycle Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1988 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Many papers are written on the frictional loss of each component in an engine, such as piston, crankshaft or bearings, but few papers describe on the total engine friction in detail. In this paper, the total engine friction is analyzed using the engine friction data of 145 HONDA mass produced motorcycle in-line engines, including single-, 2- and 4-cylinder configurations measured by the motoring method. Consequently, it is shown that the total engine friction, that is the frictional mean effective pressure (Pmf), is mainly influenced by the following dimensions; cylinder bore, piston stroke, crank pin and journal diameters. Thus the empirical equation for the total engine friction is derived, and it becomes thereby possible to reduce the total engine friction as well as to estimate it.
|Technical Paper||Experimental Analysis of Total Engine Friction in Four Stroke S. I. Engines|
|Technical Paper||Estimate of Total Engine Loss and Engine Output in Four Stroke S.I. Engines|
CitationFujii, I., Yagi, S., Sono, H., and Kamiya, H., "Total Engine Friction in Four Stroke S.I. Motorcycle Engine," SAE Technical Paper 880268, 1988, https://doi.org/10.4271/880268.
- Uras H. Mehmet Patterson, Donald J. “Measurement of Piston and Ring Assembly Friction Instantaneous IMEP Method” SAE Paper 830416
- Furuhama S. Sasaki, S. “New Device for the Measurement of Piston Frictional Forces in small Engine” SAE Paper 831284
- Rezeka S.F. Henein, N.A. “A New Approach to Evaluate Instantaneous Friction and Its Components in Internal Combustion Engines” SAE Paper 840179
- Nagao et. al., “Reduction of Friction Loss for MAGNUM Engine” Mazda Tech. Rev. 1983 No. 1
- Furuhama S. Takiguchi, M. “Effect of Piston and Piston Ring Design on the Piston Friction Forces in Diesel Engine” SAE Paper 810977
- Hoshl, M. “The Study of Piston Friction Force in Internal Combustion Engine” presented at JSAE 61th Spring Annual Meeting 1984
- Uras H.M. Patterson, U.J. “Effect of Some Piston Variables on Piston and Ring Assembly Friction” SAE Paper 870088
- Ball, W.F. Jackson, N.S. Pilley A.D. Porter, B.C. “The Friction of a 1.6 Liter Automotive Engine-Gasoline and Diesel” SAE Paper 860418
- Hoshi, M. “Reducing friction Losses in Automotive Engines” TRIB0L0GY International of Japan 17 4 1984 185
- Staron J.T. Willerment, P.A. “An Analysis of Valve Train Friction in Terms of Lubrication Principles” SAE Paper 830165
- Vickery, P.E. “Friction Losses in Automotive Plane Bearings” SAE Paper 750052