This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Development of a Severe Turbocharger Bench Engine Test
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1988 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A bench engine test has been developed which reproduces the type of turbocharger failure observed in a wide range of gasoline engined vehicles operating on commercially available API SF oils. These failures have also been reproduced in a 15000 km chassis dynamometer test developed by Audi. Initial bench engine tests showed that high temperatures alone do not cause deposit related failures. Following tests on a range of turbocharged cars a two part bench engine test was developed which discriminated between oils of different formulation. This test consisted of an initial 150 hour conditioning period run under steady state conditions followed by a cycle of wide open throttle and hot soak repeated 200 times. The combination of parameters found to be crucial in reproducing the field failures were engine oil temperature, turbocharger housing temperature, blowby, NOx and oil consumption.
CitationToft, G., Coy, R., Krumm, H., and Muennighoff, H., "The Development of a Severe Turbocharger Bench Engine Test," SAE Technical Paper 880258, 1988, https://doi.org/10.4271/880258.
- Keller J.A. Lowther H.W. Rogers T.W. Mobil Research and Development Corp. “Lubricant performance in passenger car turbochargers” Paper presented at SAE Congress February 1981 SAE 810016
- Barrow A.L. Dawson R.B. Knowles I.R. Woollard J.K. Edwin Cooper Division, Ethyl Corporation “Optimised lubricants for turbocharged passenger car engines” Paper presented at SAE Fuels and Lubricants Meeting October 1981 SAE 811227
- Neadle D.J. Smallmann Lubricant Limited “Synthetic lubricants for turbocharged passenger cars” Paper presented at 4th International Colloqium January 1984 Esslingen
- Hauk F. Dommes W. Gerwig W. Dieter H. Will. Audi NSU Auto Union A.G. “Der wassergekuhlte Abgasturbolader für die aufgeladenen Audi Ottomotoren” ATZ Automobiltchnische Zeitschrift 86 1984 5
- Murata M. Hayashi H. Murakami R. Nissan Motor Co., Ltd. “A study on Lubricants for Turbocharged Gasoline Engines” Paper presented at Agelfi 7th European Automotive Symposium October 1983 Brussells