This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Driver Behavior as Affected by Oncoming Vehicles and Obstructions
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1988 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This study investigates the driver/vehicle responses as affected by oncoming vehicles and obstructions. The results showed that in most cases neither the novice drivers nor the experienced ones fixated the oncoming vehicles, but that the drivers anticipated the roadway ahead at great distances, and monitored the oncoming vehicles with peripheral vision.
There were no significant differences in the vehicle lateral displacement for the avoidance behavior between the novice and experienced drivers. However, the fixation time for the obstructions was shorter and the completion time of fixations was earlier for the novice drivers as compared to those for the experienced drivers. The strategies of visual search for the novice drivers were critically concerned with the vehicle's direction of travel.
|Technical Paper||Performance of Driver-Vehicle in Aborted Lane Change Maneuvers|
|Technical Paper||Factors that Influence Drivers' Response Choice Decisions in Video Recorded Crashes|
|Technical Paper||Driver characteristic using driving monitoring recorder|
CitationMasuda, K., Nagata, M., Kuriyama, H., and Sato, T., "Driver Behavior as Affected by Oncoming Vehicles and Obstructions," SAE Technical Paper 880060, 1988, https://doi.org/10.4271/880060.
- Helander M. “Steering Behavior during Traffic Events: A Case of Perceptual Tropism?” Human Factors 20 6 1978 681 690
- Summala H. et al. “Drivers' Steering Behavior When Meeting Another Car: The Case of Perceptual Tropism Revisited.” Human Factors 23 2 1981 185 189
- Triggs T.J. “The Influence of Oncoming Vehicles an Automobile Lateral Position.” Human Factors 22 22 1980 427 433
- Taragin A. “Driver Behavior as Affected by Objects on Highway Shoulders.” Highway Research Board Proceedings 34 1951 453 472
- Michaels R.M. Cozan L.W. “Perceptual and Field Factors Causing Lateral Displacement.” Public Road 32 11 1963 233 240
- Case H.W. et al. “Effect of a Roadside Structure on the lateral Placement of Motor Vehicles.” Highway Research Board Proceedings 32 1953 364 370
- Jorol N.H. “Lateral Vehicle Placement as Affected by Shoulder Design on Rural Idaho Highways.” Highway Research Board Proceedings 41 1962 415 532
- Soliday S.M. “Lane Position Maintenance by Automobile Drivers on Two Types of Highway.” Ergonomics 18 2 1975 175 183
- Noguchi K. “Driver Perception in the Traffic and Safety Research.” IATSS Review 1 2 1975 41 48
- Mourant R.R. Rockwell T.H. “Mapping Eye-Movement Patterns to the Visual Scene in Driving: An Exploratory Study.” Human Factors 12 1 1970 88 87
- Nagata M. Kuriyama H. “Drivers' Visual Behavior under Conditions of Negotiating. Obstructions.” SAE Transactions 93 1984 3.825 3.832
- Nagata M. Masuda K. Kuriyama H. “Drivers' Visual Behavior as Affected by Stopping Maneuver.” SAE Paper, No. 870236 1987