This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
1988 Chevrolet/GMC Full-Size Pickup Truck Aerodynamics
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 01, 1987 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper is a summary of the aerodynamic development of the 1988 Chevrolet and GMC pickup truck. Comprehensive drag reduction work was performed with clay models from the original concept through the detailed full-scale model. In addition, the aerodynamic development included wind rush noise reduction, optimization of engine cooling air flow, and body surface pressures for HVAC performance.
CitationButz, L., Donavan, P., Gondert, T., MacDonald, R. et al., "1988 Chevrolet/GMC Full-Size Pickup Truck Aerodynamics," SAE Technical Paper 872274, 1987, https://doi.org/10.4271/872274.
- Mason, W. T. Jr., Beebe, P. B. Schenkel, F. S. “An Aerodynamic Test Facility for Scale-Model Automobiles,” SAE 730238 January 1973
- Gondert, T. R. “Pickup Truck Basic Aerodynamic Investigation,” General Motors Confidential Report September 1977
- Kelly, K. B. Provencher, L. G. Schenkel, F. K. “The General Motors Engineering Staff Aerodynamic Laboratory,” SAE 820371 February 1982
- Santer, R. M. Gleason, M. E. “The Aerodynamic Development of the Probe IV Advanced Concept Vehicle,” SAE 831000 June 1983
- Renn, V. Gilhaus, A. “Aerodynamics of Vehicle Cooling Systems,” Journal of Wind Engineering and Industrial Aerodynamics 22 1986 339 346 Elsevier Science Publishers B. V. Amsterdam
- Oswald, L. J. Dolby, D. A. “A Technique for Measuring Interior Wind Rush Noise At Clay Model Stage of Vehicle Design,” SAE 770394