This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Update of the NHTSA Research Activity in Thoracic Side impact Protection for the Front Seat Occupant
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 01, 1987 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Since the 1984 publication of the results of NHTSA's initial research on thoracic side impact protection, substantial progress has been made. Specifically, the NASS data have been reviewed relative to side impacts, an updated injury criterion has been developed, the MVMA has conducted a very significant crash test project, and the NHTSA has conducted additional full system production vehicle tests.
The review of the NASS data and a comparison with the previously used NCSS data indicate the thoracic injury remains the highest ranking injury in non-rollover, non-ejection side impacts.
The updated injury criterion, TTI-86, is applied to the side impact dummies in the modified vehicle tests which have been conducted by NHTSA and MVMA. The TTI-86 is also applied to twenty production vehicle tests which have been conducted by NHTSA. The improved performance of the modified vehicles is compared to the average performance of the twenty production vehicles. This comparison indicates the potential for significant safety improvements for reducing thoracic injuries in side impact collisions for the given test conditions and crash severities and for several of the production vehicles that have been tested.
|Technical Paper||Basilar Skull Fractures Produced by Facial Impacts - Case Histories and a Review of the Literature|
|Technical Paper||Comparison of Dynamic and Static Web Loop Deployment Forces|
- James R. Hackney - National Highway Traffic Safety Admin. U.S. Dept. of Transportation
- Hampton C. Gabler - National Highway Traffic Safety Admin. U.S. Dept. of Transportation
- Joseph N. Kanianthra - National Highway Traffic Safety Admin. U.S. Dept. of Transportation
- Daniel S. Cohen - National Highway Traffic Safety Admin. U.S. Dept. of Transportation
CitationHackney, J., Gabler, H., Kanianthra, J., and Cohen, D., "Update of the NHTSA Research Activity in Thoracic Side impact Protection for the Front Seat Occupant," SAE Technical Paper 872207, 1987, https://doi.org/10.4271/872207.
- Hackney, J.R. Monk, M.W. Hollowell, W.T. Sullivan, L.K. Willke D.T. “Results of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's Thoracic Side impact Protection Research Program,” SAE Paper 840886 May 1984
- Partyka, S.C. Rezabek S.E. “Occupant Injury Patterns in Side impacts - A Coordinated Industry/Government Accident Data Analysis,” SAE Paper 830463 February 1983
- “Side impact Dummy Drawing Package,” Calspan Report No. 6975-V-l, June 1985 and “Assembly Manual For The Side impact Dummy,” Calspan Report No. 7073-V-I August 1985
- Moving Deformable Barrier Drawing Nos. DSL 1278 through 1290 available from Keuffel and Esser Company, 1521 North Danville Street Arlington, Virginia 22201 March 1984
- Eppinger, R.H. Morgan, R.M. Marcus J.H. “Development of Dummy and Injury Index for NHTSA's Thoracic Side impact Protection Research Program,” SAE Paper 840885 May 1984
- Morgan, R.M. Marcus, J.H. Eppinger R.H. “The Biofidelity of NHTSA's Proposed ATD and Efficacy of TTI,” Proceedings of the 30th Stapp Car Crash Conference San Diego, California October 1986
- Ricci, L.L. “NCSS Statistics: Passenger Cars,” Highway Safety Research Institute, The University of Michigan Report No. UM-HSRI-80-36 June 1980
- Gabler, H. C White, K. P. Pilkey W. P. “Thoracic Side impact Protection Research Program: Countermeasure Effectiveness,” University of Virginia Letter Report September 1984
- Transcript of Proceedings Before the United States Department of Transportation in the Matter of Side impact Protection Public Meeting, Docket No. 79-04, Notice 02-008 May 29 1986 Washington, D.C.
- Seiffert U. the Volkswagenwerk AG Research Division “Research MIV-Modified Integrated Vehicle, -Volumes I and II, “Final Report for NHTSA Contract No. DTNH22-81-C-17085 September 1983
- MCR Technology, Inc. “Design and Development of a Modified Production Vehicle for Enhanced Crashworthiness and Fuel Economy,” Final Report for NHTSA Contract No. DTNH22-8I-C-07085 June 1984
- Hollowell, W.T. Pavlick M. “Status of the Development of improved Structures for the Upgrade of FMVSS 214,” Proceedings of the 8th International Technical Conference on Experimental Safety Vehicles October 1980 Wolfsburg, West Germany
- Preuss C.A. “MVMA Full Vehicle and Sub System Test Procedure Development,” Proceedings of the I lth International Technical Conference on Experimental Safety Vehicles May 1987 Washington, D.C.
- Preuss, C.A. Wasko R.J. “Status and Update of MVMA Full Vehicle Testing,” SAE Paper 871115 May 1987