This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Multidimensional Data Set For Diesel Combustion Model Validations II - Fuel Injection Rate and Boundary Conditions
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 01, 1987 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The instantaneous rate of fuel injection has been measured in a diesel combustion bomb. For this purpose two methods were used: a measurement based on the velocity of a pumping piston and a measurement based on the injection pressure, and an assigned discharge coefficient. The two methods are discussed in detail and yield nearly the same result.
The boundary conditions are characterized by time and spatially resolving the wall temperature, the heat flux (radiative plus convective) and the normal component of the radiant heat flux. Thin film surface thermocouples and a two-color pyrometer are used for these measurements.
A unique fuel injection system designed for single shot experiments has been designed and the details are presented. Results of exploratory experiments are presented to demonstrate the versatility of this system.
- D. C. Oren - Purdue Univ. School of Mechanical Engineering
- R. P. Durrett - Purdue Univ. School of Mechanical Engineering
- C. R. Ferguson - Purdue Univ. School of Mechanical Engineering
- J. Timar - Purdue Univ. School of Mechanical Engineering
- D. R. Tree - Purdue Univ. School of Mechanical Engineering
- D. P. DeWitt - Purdue Univ. School of Mechanical Engineering
CitationOren, D., Durrett, R., Ferguson, C., Timar, J. et al., "A Multidimensional Data Set For Diesel Combustion Model Validations II - Fuel Injection Rate and Boundary Conditions," SAE Technical Paper 872088, 1987, https://doi.org/10.4271/872088.
- Durrett, R.P. Oren, DC. Ferguson, C.B. “A Multidimensional Data Set for Diesel Combustion Model Validation: I. Initial Conditions, Pressure History and Spray Shapes,” SAE Paper 872087 1987
- Beshay, K.R. Gosman, A.D. Watkins, A.P. “Assessments of Multidimensional Diesel Spray Predictions,” SAE paper 861570 1986
- Oren, D. Wahiduzzaraan, S. Ferguson, C.R. “A Fuel Injection Transducer and Controller,” SAE Paper 831726 1083
- Dow, R.B. Fink, C.E. “Computation of Some Physical Properties of Lubricating Oils at High Pressures,” J. Applied Physics 11 1940
- Bracco, F.V. “Modeling of Engine Sprays,” SAE Paper 850394
- Reitz, R.D. Diwakar, R. “Structure of High-Pressure Fuel Sprays,” SAE Paper 870598 1987
- Wahiduzzaman, S. Ferguson, C.R. “Convective Heat Transfer From A Decaying Swirling Flow Within A Cylinder,” Eighth International Heat Transfer Conference 987 992 1986
- Nishiwaki, K. Borman, G. “Internal Combustion Engine Heat Transfer,” Prog. Energy Combust. Sci. 13 1 46 1987
- Ferguson, C.R. Tree, D.R. DeWitt, D.P. Wahiduzzaman, S.A.H. 1987 “Design, Calibration and Error Analysis of Instrumentation for Heat Transfer Measurements in lateral Combustion Engines,” Warrington, R.O., Jr. Chen, M.M. Felske, J.D. Grossbandler, W.L. Developments in Experimental Techniques in Heat Transfer and Combustion . ASME HTD 71 67 82
- Dalzell, W. H. Sarofim, A. F. “Optical Constants of Soot and Their Applications to Heat Flux Calculations.” J. Heat Transfer 91 1 100 104
- Hammond, E. G. Beer, J. M. 1974 “Spatial Distribution of Spectral Radiant Energy in a Pressure Jet Oil Flame,” Heat Transfer from Flames John Wiley & Sons 283 291
- Lee, S. C. Tien, C. L. 1981 “Optical Constants of Soot in Hydrocarbon Flames,” Eighteenth Symposium (International) oil Combustion 1159 1166
- Stull, V. R. Plass, G. N. 1900 “Emissivity of Dispersed Carbon Particles,” J. Optical Society of America 121 129
- Wahiduzzaman, S. Morel, T. Timar, J. DeWitt, D. P. 1987 “Experimental and Analytical Study of Heat Radiation in a Diesel Engine,” SAE Paper 870511
- Morel, T. Wahiduzzaman, S. Tree, D.R. DeWitt, D.P. 1987 “Effect of Speed, Load, and Location on Heat Transfer in a Diesel Engine - Measurements and Predictions,” SAE Paper 870154