This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Novel Concept of Power Transmission Gear Design
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 01, 1987 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Conventional gear designs are characterized by the meshing teeth which have to accommodate bending loads with a high dynamic load content, together with high contact stresses under a reciprocal sliding. Accordingly, special materials with sophisticated heat treatments, and high fabrication accuracy are required for heavy-duty gears, such as being used in off-road vehicle transmissions The paper describes a novel concept for designing power transmission gears, which eliminates physical sliding between meshing profiles and separates bending and contact loading of the teeth. Geometrical sliding is accommodated by internal shear deformation in specially designed rubber-metal laminates, thus allowing materials with high bulk strength but poor contact properties (aluminum, titanium, fiber-reinforced composites, etc.) to be used for heavy-duty gears. Analytical data on load-carrying capacity, as well as test results for static loading and noise tests showing drastic reduction in the sound pressure levels are presented.
CitationRivin, E. and Wu, R., "A Novel Concept of Power Transmission Gear Design," SAE Technical Paper 871646, 1987, https://doi.org/10.4271/871646.
- Ikegami, K. Takada, M “Strength of Fiber Reinforced Plastic Gears of Monocoque Structures,” ASME Paper 84-DET-72 ASME 1984
- Koniuk, E.A. Andreev, S.V. Fiktash, M.D. “Bending Analysis of Gears Reinforced with Continuous Fibers,” Mekhanika Kompositnikh Materialov 1982 5 937 939
- Prince, M. “Large Spacecraft Active Deployment Hinges,” AIAA Paper 83-0909-CP AIM 1983
- Freakley, P.K. Payne, A.R. “Theory and Practice of Engineering with Rubber,” Applied Science Publishers, Ltd. London 1978 666
- Rivin, E.I. “Properties and Prospective Applications of Ultra-Thin -Layered Rubber-Metal Laminates for Limited Travel Bearings,” Tribology International 16 1 1983 17 26
- Rivin, E.I. “Mechanical Design of Robots,” McGray-Hill N.Y. 1987 320
- Rivin, E.I. “Gears with Resilient Coatings,” U.S. Patent 4, 184, 380
- Anderson, N.E. Loewenthal, S.M. “Spur-Gear-System Efficiency at Part and Full Load,” NASA Technical Paper 1622 1980
- Tuplin, W.A. “Gear Load Capacity,” Pitman & Sons, Ltd. London 1961
- Tchesnokov, V.A. Baldaev, V.B. “Kinematics on the Contact Area of Novikov Transmissions,” Izvestiia VtlSov “Mashinnostroenie 1985 7 28 32
- Shigley, J.E. “Mechanical Engineering Design,” 3rd McGraw-Hill 1977 695
- Chironis, N. “Design of Novikov Gears,” Gear Design and Application Chironis N. McGraw-Hill 1967
- Ishibashi, A. Yoshino H. Hirai, H. “Design, Manufacture, and Load Carrying Capacity of Novikov Gears with 3-5 Pinion Teeth for High Gear Ratios,” Bulletin of JSME 28 238 1985 701 706