This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Coordinate Measurement of Bevel Gear Teeth
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 01, 1987 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Coordinate measurement of spiral and straight bevel gears improves design capability and enables interchangeable manufacture by precise definition of geometry and accurate measurement rather than by fitting to an existing mating part or “master” gear. The teeth are measured relative to perfectly conjugate teeth rather than to the modified shapes produced by an errorless machine. Application of coordinate measurements is an integral part of the bevel gear manufacturing process at Caterpillar Inc. The method of application differs from that developed by others in that the software was written independently, and the tooth shape plots are produced in a fashion much like those for an involute spur gear. The coordinate measurement check supersedes the subjective bearing contact pattern roll check for control of geometry, but the roll check is maintained as a supplementary routine inspection.
|Technical Paper||Selection of Powder Metal Materials|
|Technical Paper||Powdered Metal Gears|
|Technical Paper||Spring Position Measurement: A Review of Current Techniques and a Proposed Nondestructive Measurement Technique|
CitationChambers, R. and Brown, R., "Coordinate Measurement of Bevel Gear Teeth," SAE Technical Paper 871645, 1987, https://doi.org/10.4271/871645.
- Baxter, M. L., EXACT DETERMINATION OF TOOTH SURFACES FOR SPIRAL BEVEL AND HYPOIO GEARS. AGMA 139.02, 1966.
- Fort, P., BERECHNEN UND MESSEN GEKRUMMTER FLACHEN AUF GRUND DER ERZEUGUNGSKINEMATIK AH BEISPIEL DER SPIRALKEGELRADER, Diss. ETH 5979, 1977.
- Fort, P., COMPUTER AIDED DESIGN, MANUFACTURING. AND INSPECTION SYSTEM FOR SPIRAL BEVEL GEARS. ASME 80-C2/DET-127, 1980.
- Akamatsu, T., and Kato, S., MEASURING METHOD OF HYPOID GEAR TOOTH PROFILES. SAE 810105, 1981.
- Knebel, R., and Krenzer, T. J., COMPUTER AIDED INSPECTION OF BEVEL AND HYPOID GEARS, SAE 831266, 1983.
- Lemanski, A. J., PRODUCTION MEASUREMENT TECHNIQUE FOR IN-PROCESS CONTROL OF SPIRAL BEVEL GEARING. SAE 851572, 1985.
- TESTING AND INSPECTING BEVEL AND HYPOID GEARS, Gleason Works Publication SD3444B, 1982.