This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Philosophy and Design of a Flexible Medium Speed Single Cylinder Research Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published July 01, 1987 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The favorable economics and flexibility of a single cylinder engine when used for research and development are obvious. At the planning stage of the new B2400 Bombardier Medium Speed Diesel engine, the value of a single cylinder version to proof test the design was considered. A search for a medium speed single cylinder engine which would be representative of the Bombardier/Alco 251 and the B2400 engine was unsuccessful. This fact and the alternative fuels studies which were being done on multi-cylinders justified the decision to embark with the funding assistance of the Transport Development Center (TDC) on the Bombardier Single Cylinder Research engine (BSCRE) Programme, This paper deals with the philosophy, design, application and international recognition a state-of-the-art medium speed engine research tool.
|Technical Paper||PATHFINDING IN FUELS AND ENGINES|
|Technical Paper||Spatial-Temporal Characterization of Alternative Fuel Sprays from a Second-Generation Common-Rail Fuel Injection System for Euro4 Passenger Car Application|
CitationPayne, M., "Philosophy and Design of a Flexible Medium Speed Single Cylinder Research Engine," SAE Technical Paper 871372, 1987, https://doi.org/10.4271/871372.
- The use of a single cylinder test engine for research and development of medium speed diesels. McKenzie E.M.J. & Ricardo S.G. Dexter DP82/1667
- Simulating the performance of a multi-cylinder diesel engine supercharged with the aid of a variable pressure turbo-super-charger by means of a single cylinder test engine. Chang Tech-Ming, Chinese journal of Shipbuilding issue, 3 (1961), P. 62, (July)
- Versatile single-cylinder diesel test engine for lubricant, emissions and fuel research. Griffin J.R., Chevron Research Company; Wittek H.L. List-Rosen-Wittek Associates inc. SAE 730831
- Details of the design philosophy, specification and general data of a research engine for high B.M.E.P. operation DP 18038 Ricardo Consulting Engineers.
- Design of a single cylinder medium speed research engine and test facility. Transport Canada report No. TP4844E Payne M.L. - Bombardier Rail & Diesel Products Div.