This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Design and Construction of a Fuel Efficient Braking System
Published November 08, 1987 by SAE Australasia in Australia
Annotation ability available
This paper provides an insight into the engineering techniques used during the preliminary design, optimisation and final construction of a prototype regenerative braking system which has been retrofitted into a Leyland Panther bus. The system studied utilises a single hydrostatic pump/motor unit which regulates energy flow into and out of hydraulic accumulators.
The accumulators, hydrostatic pump/motor and regenerative system have been optimally configured and designed using a probabilistic and statistical approach in conjunction with digital computer simulations. Computer aided design has been used throughout the construction of the prototype system with full advantage being taken of the three dimensional modelling capabilities. The digital control system developed provides tremendous flexibility enabling various near-optimal control algorithms to be utilised for operation over various bus routes. The bus is currently being evaluated whilst in service carrying passengers around the environ's of Brisbane City.
|Technical Paper||Holistic Model-Based Development Process|
|Technical Paper||Simulation of the Forwarder Dynamics|
|Aerospace Standard||Aircraft Electrical Power Systems Modeling and Simulation Definitions|
CitationVint, M., "Design and Construction of a Fuel Efficient Braking System," SAE Technical Paper 871233, 1987.
- Bullock K. J. “Hybrid Vehicle Applications for Stochastic Road Load Environments.” EVS-8 Symposium Washington October 1986
- Bullock K. J. “Design Characteristics of Hybrid Vehicles with Road Test Results from several Prototypes.” Proceedings 3rd International Conference on Automotive Engineering Society of Automotive Engineers Jakarta Indonesia November 1985
- Curtis C. H. “Energy Storage Systems for Public Service Vehicles.” Institute of Mechanical Engineers 1986
- Gilmore D. B. Bullock K. J. Webb I. R. Vint H. K. “Fuel Efficient Internal Combustion Engine - Electric Urban Transport Vehicles.” Proceedings of the 1984 International ISATA Congress Milan, Italy September 1984
- Gilmore D. B. Bullock K. J. “An Gn-Road Evaluation of a 1500 kg Multi-purpose Hybrid Vehicle with Trimodal Energy Storage.” Proceedings XIX International FISITA Congress Society of Automotive Engineers Melbourne 1982
- Martini S. “The MAN Hydrobus.” Symposium on Advanced and Hybrid Vehicles University of Strathclyde Glasgow SEPTEMBER 1984
- Otis D. R. Pourmorahed A. “Improving Performance of Gas-Charge Accumulators using Elastomeric Foams.” Symposium on Advanced and Hybrid Vehicles University of Strathclyde Glasgow September 1984
- Otis D. R. “Hydraulic Accumulators as Energy Buffers: Thermodynamic Modelling and Thermal Losses.” Proceedings of the 1980 Flywheel Technology Symposium American Society of Mechanical Engineers New York October 1980
- Riviera A. M. “Hydraulic Accumulator Technology Boosts Transit Bus Fuel Economy.” Technical Paper 830648. Society of Automotive Engineers 1983
- Tollefson S. Beachley N. H. Franczak F. J. “Studies of an Accumulator Energy-Storage Automobile Design with a Single Pump/Motor Unit.” Technical Paper 851677. Society of Automotive Engineers 1985
- Stringer I. A. “A Fuel Efficient Commercial Hybrid Motor Vehicle.” National Engineering Conference Adelaide 1986
- Stringer I. A. BULLOCK K. J. “A Regenerative Road Load Simulator.” Proceedings XX FISITA Congress Vienna Austria May 1984
- Van Dongen L. A. M. “Efficiency Characteristics of Manual and Automotive Passenger Car Transaxles.” Technical Paper 820741. Society of Automotive Engineers 1982
- Vint M. K. Bullock K. J. “Probabilistic Analysis of the Behaviour of Transport Vehicles.” Fourth International Pacific Conference Melbourne 8-14 November 1987
- Vint M. K. Gilmore D. B. “Simulation of Transit Bus Regenerative Braking Systems.” Simulation Society of Australia SSA-87 Conference 11-13 May 1987
- Vint M. K. Gilmore D. B. “The Role of Computers in the Development of a Regenerative Braking System for a Transit Bus.” The Australian Computer Society 1986 National Conference Gold Coast Australia September 1986
- Vint M. K. “Overview of the Design and Installation of a Regenerative Braking. Storage and Propulsion System for a Leyland Panther Bus.” Dept. Mech. Eng'g University of Queensland Research Report 9/86
- Vint M. K. “Simulation of a Regenerative System over Idealistic Driving Cycles.” Dept. Mech. Eng'g University of Queensland Research Report 5/86
- Vint M. K. “Testing and Evaluation of the Mazda Hybrid Van.” Dept. Mech. Eng'g University of Queensland Research Report 4/84
- Vint M. K. “Testing and Evaluating the Electric Daihatsu Charade.” Dept. Mech. Eng'g University of Queensland Research Report 4/83