This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Dynamic Stability Testing of Articulated Vehicles
Published November 08, 1987 by SAE Australasia in Australia
Annotation ability available
This paper describes a full-scale truck testing program designed to investigate the rollover behaviour of articulated vehicles. Test details and equipment including vehicle manoeuvres, anti-rollover outrigger, instrumentation and data acquisition system will be discussed. Results of suspension and handling characteristics, as well as steady state and dynamic rollover behaviour of vehicle combinations are presented. The steady state rollover threshold of test vehicles obtained from constant radius turn tests is found to be slightly lower than static tilt test results. The main factors that contribute to the discrepancy include the lateral tyre restraint on the tilt deck and the asymmetric rollover behaviour of test vehicles. A good agreement between these two test methods can be obtained by properly accounting for those factors. Under transient conditions, the rollover behaviour of test vehicles is affected by the phase difference in lateral acceleration between the prime mover and the trailer.
|Ground Vehicle Standard||Truck Deformation Classification|
|Technical Paper||DEVELOPMENT OF MAXIMUM ALLOWABLE HITCH LOAD BOUNDARIES FOR TRAILER TOWING|
|Ground Vehicle Standard||COE Frontal Strength Evaluation—Dynamic Loading Heavy Trucks|
CitationTso, Y. and Sweatman, P., "The Dynamic Stability Testing of Articulated Vehicles," SAE Technical Paper 871180, 1987.
- ERVIN, R.D. MALLIKARJUNARAO, C. GILLESPIE, T.D. 1980 Future configuration of tank vehicles hauling flammable liquids in Michigan Highway Safety Research Institute Report UM-HSRI-80-73-1
- STRANDBERG, L. NORSTROM, O. NORDMARK, S. 1975 Safety problems in commercial vehicle handling National Swedish Road and Traffic Research Institute
- MAI, L. SWEATMAN, P.F. 1984 Articulated vehicle stability - Phase II tilt tests and computer model Australian Road Research Board Internal Report AIR 323-2
- SWEATMAN, P.F. 1983 A study of dynamic wheel forces in axle group suspensions of heavy vehicles Australian Road Research Board Special Report No. 27
- ERVIN, R.D. NISONGER, R.L. MALLIKARJUNARAO, C. GILLESPIE, T.D. 1979 The yaw stability of tractor-semitrailers during cornering Highway Safety Research Institute Report UM-HSRI-79-21-2
- WINKLER, C.B. NISONER, R.L. ERVIN, R.D. 1978 Testing the Michigan Double-Bottom Tanker SAE Paper No. 781066