This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Prediction of Volumetric Efficiency Considering Gas Exchange Process in Spark Ignition Engine
Published November 08, 1987 by SAE Australasia in Australia
Annotation ability available
The volumetric efficiency for a 4-stroke, single- cylinder, spark- ignition engine is considered.
The mathematical model for the gas exchange process was formulated and solved by numerical technique. The mass flow rate, the pressure-time history in cylinder, intake and exhaust pipes, and the volumetric efficiency were calculated. The important parameter affecting volumetric efficiency was the pressure in the pipes. But, the effect of valve timing on volumetric efficiency was small (1, 2)*.
The experiments with 3-different cams were performed. The predicted results were compared with experimental data and satisfactory agreement was obtained. As a result, the volumetric efficiency could be predicted with a relatively simple mathematical model.
|Technical Paper||Multidimensional Intake Flow Modeling of a Four-Stroke Engine with Comparisons to Flow Velocity Measurements|
|Technical Paper||Measurement of the Wall-Wetting Dynamics of a Sequential Injection Spark Ignition Engine|
CitationSoh, S., Chung, J., and Kim, E., "The Prediction of Volumetric Efficiency Considering Gas Exchange Process in Spark Ignition Engine," SAE Technical Paper 871170, 1987.
- Chen Fan Y. “Mechanics and Design of Cam Mechanisms,” Pergamon Press 1982 152 177
- Stojek D. Stwiorok A. “Valve Timing with Variable Overlap Control,” SAE Paper 845026 1984
- Mattavi James N. Amann Charles A. “Combustion Modeling in Reciprocating Engines,” Plenum Press 1980
- Benson Rowland S. “The Thermodynamics and Gas Dynamics of Internal-Combustion Engines,” Clarendon Press I 246 365 1982
- Benson Rowland S. Annand W.J.D. Baruah P.C. “A Simulation Model Including Intake And Exhaust Systems For A Single - Cylinder Four-Stroke Cycle Spark-Ignition Engine,” Int. J. Mech. Sci. Pergamon Press 17 97 124 1975
- Yano Robert A. Harp James L. “Computer Program for Evaluating Reciprocating Engine Airflow and Exhaust Stack Performance,” SAE Paper 830150 1983
- Takizawa Masaaki Uno Tatsuo Yura Tadayoshi “A Study of Gas Exchange Process Simulation of an Automotive Multi-Cylinder Internal Combustion Engine,” SAE Paper 820410 1982
- Asmus T.W. “Valve Events and Engine Operation,” SAE Paper 820749 1982
- Tuttle J.H. “Controlling Engine Load by Means of Early Intake Valve Closing,” SAE Paper 820408 1982