This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Towards an Objective Estimate of the Subjective Reaction to Diesel Engine Noise
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published August 01, 1987 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A microcomputer-based analyser is being developed to estimate subjective reaction to noise from diesel-powered road vehicles. An interactive technique is envolving to match certain combinations of objective measurements to the subjective preferences of individuals, using a control signal from the microcomputer. For a pilot experiment on diesel engine noise at cold idle conditions, the sound stimuli were obtained from engine surface vibration signals. The pilot experiment results suggest that the impulsive characteristic of the sound could be more important than the overall level.
CitationRussell, M., Worley, S., and Young, C., "Towards an Objective Estimate of the Subjective Reaction to Diesel Engine Noise," SAE Technical Paper 870958, 1987, https://doi.org/10.4271/870958.
- Schultz T D “Community Noise Ratings” Applied Science Publishers 1971 ISBN 0 85334 5551
- Head H E Wake J D “Noise Made by Direct Injection Engines as they Accelerate” Proc Inst Acoustics 1981 (Conference Bedford Coll.)
- Russell M F “Diesel Engine Noise: Control at Source” SAE Paper 820238 Soc Auto Engine Congress Detroit Feb 1982
- Russell M F Haworth R “Combustion Noise from High Speed Direct Injection Diesel Engines” Trans Soc Auto Eng SAE Paper 850973 Soc Auto Eng May 1986
- Russell M F “Reduction of Noise Emissions from Diesel Engine Surfaces” SAE Paper 720135 Soc Auto Eng Congress Detroit Jan 1972
- Russell M F Worley S A Barham T Joplin P M “Applications of a Microcomputer-Based Analysis System” Noise and Vibr. Control Worldwide” July 1983 Trade 5 Tech Press
- Challen B J Kuczora A “An Engineering Index of Diesel Engine Idling Noise” Internoise 80 Florida USA 8-10 Dec 1980
- Zwikker E Flottorp G Stevens S S “Critical Bandwidth in Loudness Summation” J A S A 29 1957 484 502
- Birglund B Birglund U Goldstein M Lindvall T “Loudness or Annoyance. Summation of Combined Community Noises” J A S A 70 6 Dec 1981 1628 1634
- Green D M Shelton B R Picardi M C Hafter E V “Psychophysical Tuning Curves Independent of Signal Level” J A S A 69 6 June 1981
- Allen J B “Cochlea Mechanics - a Mechanism for Transforming Mechanical to Neural Tuning within the Cochlea” J A S A 62 4 Oct 1977 930 939
- Callow G D Hedges R “The Subjective Response of Occupants to the Noise Inside Vehicles” Motor Industry Research Assoc, report 1979/1 and diesel engined vehicle addendum
- Callow G D Townsend G private communication July 1986
- Erdreich “A Distribution-Based Definition of impulse Noise” Jour. Acoustic Soc Am Sept-Oct 1986