This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Design of Intake Manifolds for Supercharged I.C. Engines with Intercooling
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published January 20, 1987 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The paper describes the theoretical and experimental development of the intake manifold for a 12-liter, 6-cylinder supercharged Diesel engine with intercooling. The objective has been to obtain a torque diagram optimum for traction, i.e. with the maximum torque at a low engine rpm without penalizing the peak power, in addition the design has to keep a reduced fuel consumption and low smoke level. To meet these requirements, the solution adopted has been to obtain the cylinder filling by means of the combined effect of the turbocharger and the geometry of the intake manifold. The design of the manifold is based on the use of lengths and diameters for the pipes appropriate to obtain the desired volumetric efficiency diagrams, avoiding the use of intermediate reservoires. This solution has some advantages for the case of big automotive engines with intercooling, since usually long pipe lengths among turbocharger, intercooler and cylinders are needed.
CitationPayri, F., Desantes, J., and Boada, F., "Design of Intake Manifolds for Supercharged I.C. Engines with Intercooling," SAE Technical Paper 870708, 1987, https://doi.org/10.4271/870708.
- Millar, G.H. “Commercial engine development to year 2000 and beyond” SAE/I. Mech. E. Exchange lecture May 1984
- Watson, N. “Turbocharging developments on vehicle Diesel engines” SAE paper 850315 1985
- Cser, G. “Some results of combined charging applications” I. Mech. E. April 1978
- Suzuki, T. Sato, A. Suenaga, K. “Development of a higher boost turbocharged Diesel engine for better fuel economy in heavy vehicles” SAE paper 830379 1983
- Payri, F. Desantes, J.M. Corberán, J.M. “Computer aided design for I.C. engine intake and exhaust systems” 15 th ISATA Switzerland 1986
- Payri, F. Boada, F. Corberán, J.M. Modifications to the method of characteristics for the analysis of the gas exchange process in internal combustion engines” Proc. I. Mech. Eng.
- Payri, F. Desantes, J.M. Boada, F. “Prediction method of the operating conditions of a turbocharged Diesel engine” Motor Sympo. CSVTS 1986
- Ohata, A. Ishida, Y. “Dynamic inlet pressure and volumetric efficiency of four cycle four cylinder engine” SAE paper 820407 1982
- Broome, D. “Induction ram” Automobil Engineer April May June 1969