This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Combustion Gas Temperature in a Prechamber Spark Ignition Engine Measured by Infrared Pyrometer
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1987 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
To obtain a more reasonable model of torch combustion in a spark ignition engine with a vertical or horizontal prechamber, the instantaneous temperatures of combustion gas are measured by an infrared absorption-emission pyrometer with a narrow band pass filter for CO2 gas, while changing the torch nozzle area and air-fuel ratio.
The gas temperature diagrams indicate that the ignition timing, flame propagation and combustion duration in the main chamber with vertical prechamber differ entirely from those with horizontal one. The fact is verified by comparing them with the heat release rates obtained from the pressure diagrams and with the flame propagation taken by means of high-speed photography. The measured gas temperature diagrams are, therefore, found to provide a lot of useful and local information concerning the combustion process and the engine performance in the prechamber engines.
In addition, the infrared pyrometer employed with a filter of 4.3 µm can determine the values of absorptivity over a wide range of crank angle during the combustion stroke. Therefore, it can be also used as a monochromatic radiation pyrometer to measure the gas temperature in a practical engine with only a single optical window.
- Yasushi Sakurauchi - Department of Mechanical Engineering, Faculty of Engineering, Tokai Univ. Japan
- Hano Ryu - Department of Mechanical Engineering, Faculty of Engineering, Tokai Univ. Japan
- Toshio Iijima - Department of Mechanical Engineering, Faculty of Engineering, Tokai Univ. Japan
- Tsuyoshi Asanuma - Department of Mechanical Engineering, Faculty of Engineering, Tokai Univ. Japan
CitationSakurauchi, Y., Ryu, H., Iijima, T., and Asanuma, T., "Combustion Gas Temperature in a Prechamber Spark Ignition Engine Measured by Infrared Pyrometer," SAE Technical Paper 870457, 1987, https://doi.org/10.4271/870457.
- Kunii K. Sakai Y. Aihara H. Tsutsumi S. “Analytical Measurements of Combustion Gas Temperature in the Torch Ignited Engines” XVIth int.FISITA Congr. Tokyo 2-6 1976)2
- Shoji H. “Measurement of the Combustion Gas Temperature in the Spark Ignition Engine” Trans. Jap. Soc. Mech. Engg. 51-463-B 1985 1091
- Sasaki T. Asanuma T. Ohashi K. Uchiyama Y. “Temperature Measurements of Combustion Gas in a Prechamber Spark Ignition Engine” XIXth Int. FISITA Congr. Melbourne, 82110 1982
- Ryu H. Asanuma T. “Combustion Analysis with Gas Temperature Diagrams Measured in a Prechamber Spark Ignition Engine” Twentieth Synposium (international) on combustion 1984 195
- Ohashi K. Kontani K. Teshirogi N. Saeki H. “Measurement of Diesel Engine Combustion Gas Temperature by infrared Radiation Method” J. Mech. Engg. Lab. 31-1 1977 61
- Date T. Yagi S. Ishizuka A. Fujii I. “Research and Development of the Honda CVCC Engine” SAE Paper, 740605 1974
- Asanuma T. Babu M.K.G. Yagi S. “Simulation of Thermodynamic Cycle of Three-Valve Stratified Charge Engine” SAE Paper, 780319 1978
- Takishita T. Kobayashi S. Kim Y.K. Yoshida M. “Temperature Measurements of Combustion Gas by infrared Radiation Pyrometry” Trans. Jap. Soc. Mech.Engg. 46-412-B 1980 2447
- Takishita T. Kobayashi S. Kim Y.K. “Temperature Measurements of Combustion Gas by infrared Radiation Pyrometry” Trans. Jap. Soc. Mech. Engg. 49-442-B 1983 1262
- Shimizu S. Amaki I. “The Ratio of Apparent Absorptivity to Emissivity of an infrared Radiation Pyrometer” Proc. of 19th Japan Nat. Cong. Appl. Mech. 1970 112
- Ohtsu A. Ryu H. Asanuma T. “Combustion processes in a prechamber spark ignition engine (Horizontal torch direction)” 6th JSAE and JSEM Joint Symposium on internal Combustion Engine in Tokyo 1987
- Ohashi K. Kontani K. Teshirogi N. “Measurement of Emissivity of Gas in Diesel Engine Combustion Chamber at 4.3 µm Band” J. Mech. Engg. Lab. 31-3 1977 48