This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Advanced Experimental Techniques and Their Application to Automotive Aerodynamics
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1987 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Advanced experimental techniques have been developed for application in the Volkswagen automotive wind tunnels. Such procedures are: laser-Doppler anemometry (LDA) for detailed flow-field measurements; laser-light-sheet technique for flow visualization; probe positioning by a robot; and frontal-area determination by a laser-reflection system. Experiences with these advanced experimental techniques are reported in some detail. Examples of test results are shown, and the different application areas as well as the usefulness of the various methods for the advancement of automotive aerodynamics are discussed.
CitationBuchheim, R., Durst, F., Beeck, M., Hentschel, W. et al., "Advanced Experimental Techniques and Their Application to Automotive Aerodynamics," SAE Technical Paper 870244, 1987, https://doi.org/10.4271/870244.
- Mörchen W. “The Climatic Wind Tunnel of Volkswagen AG” SAE-Paper 680 120 Detroit 1968
- Buchheim R. Schwabe D. Röhe H. “Der neue 6 m 2 -Klimawindkanal von Volkswagen” ATZ 88 Stuttg. 1986
- Cogotti, A. “Wake surveys of different carbody shapes with colored isopressure maps” SAE-paper 840 299 Detroit February 1984
- Cogotti, A. “Car wake imaging using a seven-hole probe” SAE-paper 860 214 Detroit 1986
- Pfeifer H.J. “Proceedings of the Symposium on long range and short range optical velocity measurements” ISL-Bericht R 117/80 1980
- Orloff K.L. Snyder P.K. Reinath M.S. “Laser Velocimetry in the Low-Speed Wind Tunnels at Ames Research Center” NASA Technical Memorandum 85885 1984
- Meyers J.F. Hepner T.E. Lee J.W. “Performance Test of Laser Velocimetry System for the Langley 16-Foot Transonic Tunnel” NASA Technical Paper 2502 1985
- Boutier A. Canu M. “Application of Laser Velocimetry to Large Industrial Wind Tunnels” Proceeding of the International Symposium on Application of Laser-Doppler-Anemometery to Fluid Mechanics Lisbon 1982
- Bütefisch K.A. Sauerland K.-H. “A Three Component Dual Beam Laser-Doppler-Anemometer to be Operated in Large Wind Tunnels” proceedings of the ICIASF' 85 Record Stanford 1985
- Adreopoulos J. Durst F. Zaric Z. Jovanovic J. “Influence of Re-N on characteristics of turbulent wall boundary layers” Experiments in Fluids 2 1984 7
- Aerodynamic Flow Visualization Techniques and Procedures SAE-Information Report HS J1 566 Jan. 1986
- Hentschel, W. Stoffregen, B. “Flow visualization in automotive research” Flow visualization conference Paris 1986
- Merzkirch, W. “Flow visualization” Academic Press New York 1974
- Schmidt, F. Ruck, B. “Qualitative flow analysis using laser light sheets” Laser und Optoelektronik 2 107 118 1986
- Veret, C.M. “Applications of flow visualization techniques in aerodynamics” SPIE 348 114 119 1982
- Ahmed, S.R. Ramm, G. Faltin, G. “Some salient features of the time-averaged ground vehicle wake” SAE-paper 840 300 Feb. 1984
- Beeck, M.-A. Stoffregen, B. “The measurement of the projected frontal area of vehicles - a new contour tracking laser device in comparison to other methods” SAE-paper 1987 Detroit Febr. 1987