This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Facial Impact Tolerance and Response
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 27, 1986 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Facial impact experiments were conducted on eleven unembalmed human cadavers. A 32 kg or 64 kg impactor with a 25 mm diameter, rigid, cylindrical contact surface was oriented in the left-right direction relative to the face and contacted the nose at the elevation of the infraorbital margins. The impactor was propelled toward the race along an anterior-to-posterior path, with contact velocities ranging from 10 to 26 km/h. Accelerometers mounted on the impactor and the occiput provided data for analyzing the dynamics of the impacts. While the threshold for nasal bone fractures was not determined, it appears that a peak force of about 3 kN (filtered 180 Hz) is a representative threshold for more severe fracture patterns. A preliminary dynamic force vs penetration response specification for the above mode of loading is offered. Analyses of the acceleration data suggest that current typical dummy heads (vinyl flesh over aluminum skull) will not provide proper acceleration data in facial impact environments; the face is too stiff.
CitationNyquist, G., Cavanaugh, J., Goldberg, S., and King, A., "Facial Impact Tolerance and Response," SAE Technical Paper 861896, 1986, https://doi.org/10.4271/861896.
- Cavanaugh J.M. Nyquist G.W. Goldberg S.J. King A.I. “Lower Abdominal Impact Tolerance and Response,” 30th Stapp Car Crash Conference Proceedings Society of Automotive Engineers 1986
- Nyquist G.W. Cheng R. El-Bohy A.A.R. King A.I. “Tibia Bending: Strength and Response,” SAE Paper No. 851728 29th Stapp Car Crash Conference Proceedings Society of Automotive Engineers 1985
- Hodgson V.R. Nakamura G.S. Talwalker R.K. “Response of the Facial Structure to Impact,” 8th Stapp Car Crash and Field Demonstration Conference Proceedings Wayne State University Press Detroit 1966
- Nahum A.M. Gatts J.D. Gadd C.W. Danforth J. “Impact Tolerance of the Skull and Face,” SAE Paper No. 680785 12th Stapp Car Crash Conference Proceedings Society of Automotive Engineers 1968
- McLeod D.G. Gadd C.W. “An Anatomical Skull for Impact Testing,” Human Impact Response King W.F. Mertz H.J. Plenum Press New York 1973
- Warner C.Y. Niven J. “A Prototype Load-Sensing Dummy Faceform Test Device for Facial Injury Hazard Assessment,” Proceedings of 23rd Conference of American Association for Automotive Medicine Morton Grove, Illinois 1979
- Tarriere C. Leung Y.C. Fayon A. Sot C. Patel A. Banzet P. “Field Facial Injuries and Study of Their Simulation with Dummy,” SAE Paper No. 811013 25th Stapp Car Crash Conference Proceedings Society of Automotive Engineers 1981
- Reynolds H.M. Clauser C.E. McConville J. Chandler R. Young J.W. “Mass Distribution Properties of the Male Cadaver,” SAE Paper No. 750424 Automotive Engineering Congress and Exposition Society of Automotive Engineers 1975