This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Lower Abdominal Tolerance and Response
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 27, 1986 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Twelve unembalmed human cadavers were tested for lower abdominal injury tolerance and mechanical response. The impacts were in an anterior-to-posterior direction and the level of impact was primarily in the lower abdomen at the L3 level of the lumbar spine. The impactor mass was either 32 kg or 64 kg. The impactor face was a 25 mm diameter aluminum bar, with the long axis of the bar parallel to the width of the cadaver body.
In this paper, mechanical response is presented in terms of force-time and penetration-time histories, and force vs. abdominal penetration cross-plots. Injury tolerance is described in terms of post-impact necropsy findings and AIS ratings.
Based on our studies, the lower abdomen of the unembalmed human cadaver is much less stiff than is suggested by previous research, and the stiffness is velocity and mass dependent, as is suggested by the correlation coefficients presented in this paper. Force-time history and force-penetration response corridors are presented.
CitationCavanaugh, J., Nyquist, G., Goldberg, S., and King, A., "Lower Abdominal Tolerance and Response," SAE Technical Paper 861878, 1986, https://doi.org/10.4271/861878.
- Bondy, N. “Abdominal Injuries in the National Crash Severity Study” National Center for Statistics and Analysis Collected Technical Studies, Vol. II: Accident Data analysis of Occupant Injuries and Crash Characteristics NHTSA Washington, D.C. 1980 59 80
- Leung, Y.C. Tarriere, C. Lestrelin, D. Got, C. Buillon, G. Pate, A Hureau, J. Submarining Injuries pf Three-point Belted Occupants in Frontal Collisions: Description, Mechanisms and Protection” SAE Paper No. 821158 , 26th Stapp Car Crash Conference Proc. SAE 1982
- Walfisch, G. Fayon, A. Tarriere, C. Rosey, J.P. Guillon, F. Got, C. Patel, A. “Designing of a Dummy's Abdomen for Detecting Injuries in Side Impact Collisions,” Fifth International IRCOBI Conference Proceedings 1980 149 169
- Stalnaker, R.L. Ulman, M.S. “Abdominal Trauma-Review, Response, and Criteria,” SAE Paper No. 851720 , 29th Stapp Car Crash Conference Proceedings SAE 1985
- Beckman, D.L. McElhaney, J.H. Roberts, V.L. Stalnaker, R.L. “Impact Tolerance - Abdominal Injury,” NTIS No. PB204171 1971
- Stalnaker, R.L. McElhaney, J.H. Snyder, R.G. Roberts, V.L. “Door Crashworthiness Criteria,” NTIS No. PB203721 1971
- Stalnaker, R.L. Roberts, V.L. McElhaney, J.H. “Door Crashworthiness Criteria,” NTIS No. PB225000 1973
- Trollope, M.L. Stalnaker, R.L. McElhaney, J.H. Frey, C. F. “The Mechanism of Injury in Blunt Abdominal Trauma,” Journal of Trauma 13 11 962 970 1973
- Nyquist, G.W. Cavanaugh, J.M. Goldberg, S.J. King, A.I. “Facial Impact Tolerance and Response,” SAE 30th Stapp Crash Conf. Proc. 1986
- Eppinger, R.H. Marcus, J.H. Morgan, R.M. “Development of Dummy and Injury Index for NHTSA's Thoracic Side Impact Protection Research Program,” SAE Publication No. 840885 , Government/Industry Meeting and Exposition Washington, DC May 21-24 1984
- Eppinger, R.H. “Prediction of Thoracic Injury Using Measurable Experimental Parameters,” Proceedings of the 6th Experimental Safety Vehicle Conference NHTSA Washington, DC. 1976 770 780
- Abbreviated Injury Scale, 1985 Revision American Association for Automotive Medicine 1985