This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Testing and Instrumentation Used in the AN/APG-67 Multimode Radar
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 01, 1986 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The AN/APG-67 Multimode Radar is a state-of-the-art coherent digital fire control radar developed for the Northrop F-20 Tigershark Aircraft. This paper describes the role and usability of the built-in-test (BIT), instrumentation and the simulation models used to aid the development process. It also discusses the design update/test philosophy employed during the development process which was structured to bring all the modes to full operational capability in the host aircraft in an accelerated yet controlled manner.
Due to the complexity of the multimode system, employing two MIL-STD-1750A processors and five Z8000 computers, the need was established early in the design cycle to develop simulation models for critical operational areas of the system and to incorporate an instrumentation approach that could grow as the needs of the development process dictated. In addition, controlled design updates employing extensive predelivery testing in a highly instrumented General Electric test bed aircraft were structured to support the flight test objectives of the F-20 aircraft in a timely manner.
Each of these measures played a highly instrumental role in the successful development of the radar and as described in the paper, demonstrated the high payoff on investment that these activities provided.
|Technical Paper||Aerial Recovery and Cargo Delivery Systems|
|Technical Paper||A Low Cost Stall/Spin Simulator|
CitationSchafer, R., "Testing and Instrumentation Used in the AN/APG-67 Multimode Radar," SAE Technical Paper 861823, 1986, https://doi.org/10.4271/861823.
- Nevin, R. L. Schatz F. W. “AN/APG-67 Multimode Radar” IEEE International Radar Conference - 85 , Washington, D.C.
- Nevin, R. L. Miller K. A. “Distributed Signal and Data Processing in the AN/APG-67 Multimode Radar” NAECON-85 Dayton, Ohio
- Frichtel, J. S. Corey F. C. “AN/APG-67 Multimode Radar Development Program” NAECON-84 Dayton, Ohio
- Skolnik, M. I. Radar Handbook McGraw-Hill New York 1970
- Finn, H. M. Johnson R. S. “Adaptive Detection Mode with Threshold Control as a Function of Spatially Sampled Clutter Level Estimates” RCA Review Vol 29 No 3 September 1986 414 464