This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Conversion of 1984 Buick Turbo Regal to Use Methanol (M-85) as a Motor Fuel
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 01, 1986 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Four 1984 Buick Turbo Regals equipped with turbocharged V-6 engine and sequential port fuel injection were converted to demonstrate that near neat methanol (M-85) is a viable high performance and high octane motor fuel. Changes were made to the vehicle's fuel supply system, engine, transmission, and the on-board computer software to optimize the vehicle's performance with methanol fuel and to increase its operating range. Acceleration performance was greatly improved along with excellent energy equivalent fuel economy and tow FTP emissions as compared to the gasoline control vehicles. The experimental methanol engine lubricating oil protected the engine from wear as good as SF oils in the gasoline vehicles. With over a year and 24,100 km (15,000 mi) of service each, these vehicles are continuing to perform well.
CitationYee, G., Woodward, B., and Yuille, R., "Conversion of 1984 Buick Turbo Regal to Use Methanol (M-85) as a Motor Fuel," SAE Technical Paper 861592, 1986, https://doi.org/10.4271/861592.
- Leng I. J. “Fuel Systems for Alcohols-Conversion and Allied Problems” Fourth International Symposium on Alcohol Fuel Technology Guaraja, Brazil October 5-8, 1980
- Ernst R. J. Pefly R. K. Wiens F. J. “Methanol Engine Durability” SAE 831704
- Nersasian A. “The Volume Increase of Fuel Handling Rubbers in Gasoline Alcohol Blends” SAE 800790
- Keller J. L. “Use of Alcohol in Motor Gasoline-A Review” API Task Force EF-12 February 1971
- Keller J. L. Nakaguchi G. M. Ware J. C. “Modification of Methanol Fuel for Highway Vehicles” Second International Symposium on Alcohol Fuel Technology Wolfsburg, Germany November 21-23, 1977
- Keller J. L. Nakaguchi G. M. Ware J. C. “Methanol Fuel Modification for Highway Vehicle Use” Dept. of Energy Contract No. EY-76-C-04-3683; NTIS Publication No. HCP/W3683-18 July 1978
- Keller J. L. “Alcohols as Motor Fuel?” Hydrocarbon Processing 127 138 May 1979
- Keller J. L. “Methanol and Ethanol Fuels for Modern Cars” Brea, California, USA Proc.-Am. Pet. Inst. 58 67 82 1979
- Keller J. L. Eckiund E. E. “Improvement of Methanol Containing Automotive Fuels” Brea, California, USA Proc.-World Pet. Congr. 10 5 183 192 1980
- Ruggles J. “Buick High Performance Guide” Buick Engineering Flint, MI
- Wiedenmann H. M. Raff L. Noack R. “Heated Zirconia Oxygen Sensor for Stoichiometric and Lean Air-Fuel Ratios” SAE 840141
- Menrad H. Decker G. Weidmann K. “Alcohol Fuel Vehicles of Volkswagen” SAE 820968
- Pefley R. Pullman B. Whitten G. “The Impact of Alcohol Fuels on Organ Air Pollution: Methanol Photochemistry Study” DOE/CE/50036 U.S. Department of Energy Washington, D.C. November 1984