This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Cumulative Damage Analysis for Hydraulic Hoses
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 01, 1986 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper illustrates how a linear cumulative damage analysis can be used to predict the fatigue life of hydraulic hose or hose assemblies subjected to variable amplitude pressure histories. The procedure is similar to that used for metal fatigue. The paper uses a Pressure-Life (P-N) curve to describe the basic capability of hydraulic hose similar to the Stress-Life (S-N) curve used for metal components. The standard cumulative damage equation used for metal components is also used to predict fatigue life. The paper illustrates how to perform tests to establish P-N curves. It discusses how to cycle count variable amplitude pressure histories for use in the damage equation to predict fatigue life. A comparison of variable amplitude and constant amplitude results is used to illustrate accuracy of the prediction method.
CitationBerns, H. and Lobmeyer, R., "Cumulative Damage Analysis for Hydraulic Hoses," SAE Technical Paper 861297, 1986, https://doi.org/10.4271/861297.
- SAE Handbook Hydraulic Hose-SAE J517 May 1984
- Handbook of Stress and Strength Lipson and Juvinall, Macmillan Company New York 1963
- SAE SP-410 On-Line Data Acquisition and Reduction in the Field, presented at the SAE Off-Highway Vehicle meeting Milwaukee, WI September 1976
- Berns H. D. Testing and Design Application Procedures for Hydraulic Hose Assemblies, presented at the SAE Off-Highway Vehicle Meeting Milwaukee, WI September 1976
- Matsuiski Mansanori Endo Tatsuo Fatigue of Metals Subjected to Varying Stress (The Fatigue Life of Materials Subjected to Random Strains.) Paper presented at Kyushu District Meeting Japan Soc. Mech. Engrs. Kitakyushu-Shi March 1968
- Johnson L. G. The Statistical Treatment of Fatigue Experiments, Elsevier Scientific Publishing Company 1964
- Johnson L. G. Analysis of Fatigue Data by Means of the Weibull Distribution, General Motors Report April 1958
- Berns H. D. Evaluation of Testing Variables on Hydraulic Hose Fatigue Life, presented at the Mississippi Valley Section SAE Meeting Dubuque, IA January 1973
- Tanaka T. Sakai T. A Theoretical Study on the Fatigue Life Distribution of Metallic Materials, Materials, Experimentation and Design in Fatigue, Proceedings of Fatigue 81. Society of Environmental Engineers, Fatigue Group Conference 24-27 March 81 Warwick University England
- Nelson W. Weibull Analysis of Reliability Data with Few or No Failures Journal of Quality Technology 17 3 July 1985
- Annex to JDS 181 Hydraulic Hose, John Deere Standard, Published 1986