This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Contact Stress Analysis with Application to Drawn Cup Roller Bearing with Aluminum Housing
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 01, 1986 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper describes the methodology and some computer-aided procedures for analyzing the contact of roller and a drawn cup bearing ring inside a housing of material of low tensile strength. The analysis can be used to predict the onset of plastic yielding in the housing. It also discusses the role of stresses arising from the press fit between the cup and the housing in preventing the relative slippage at the cup/housing interface and fretting corrosion. Illustrative examples are shown for a heavy duty drawn cup bearing with aluminum housing for a multitude of loads and cup thicknesses.
|Technical Paper||New Developments in Bearing Materials|
|Technical Paper||Interfacial Fracture in Environmentally Friendly Thermoplastic Composite-Metal Laminates|
|Technical Paper||New Developments in Polymer Based Bearing Materials|
CitationChiu, Y., "Contact Stress Analysis with Application to Drawn Cup Roller Bearing with Aluminum Housing," SAE Technical Paper 861217, 1986, https://doi.org/10.4271/861217.
- Brown, E. K. U.S. Patent NO. 2063787 “Anti-friction Bearings and Method of Making the Same,” Torrington, Connecticut December 8 1936
- Halling, J. “The Tribology of Surface Coating, Particularly Ceramics,” Inst. Mech. Engrs. 1986
- Hartnet M. J. “A General Numerical Solution for Elastic Bodies Contact Problem,” Solid Contact and Lubrication Cheng Keer 1980 51 66
- The Torrington Company Bearing Catalog 10 12
- Chiu, Y. P. Hartnett, M. J. “A Numerical Solution for a Layered Solid Contact Problems with Application to Bearings” ASME Journal of Lubr. Tech. Oct. 1983 105 585
- Muki, R. Dong, S. B. “Elastostatic Far Field Behavior in A Layered Half-Space Under Surface Pressure,” ASME J. App. Mech. 47 Sept. 1980 504 512
- Chiu, Y. P. “Some Simplified Solution of Layered Solid in Point Contact,” to be published
- Seely, F. B. Smith, J. O. “Advanced Mechanics of Materials,” second 1957 John Wiley and Sons 364
- Fuchs H. O. Stephens, R. I. “Metal Fatigue in Engineering John Wiley & Sons 1980 227
- Waterhouse, R. B. “Fretting,” Wear 1984 107 118
- Harris, T. A. “Rolling Bearing Analysis,” second J. Wiley & Sons 1984 84 90
- “Effect of Interference Fit on Roller Bearing Fatique Life,” ASLE paper No. 86-AM-4A3