This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Generic “Stick” Model of a Vehicular Structure
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 22, 1986 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The paper describes a method of developing generic “stick” models (beam only finite element models) of vehicle structures. The EAL program is used to create two- and four-door generic models through a capability for specifying geometry by assigning dimensions of a vehicle structure. A description is given for elastic analyses, the steps of sensitivity analyses and the test setup for measuring bending and torsional stiffness of a body-in-white structure. The analysis results are shown to be in good agreement with the test data for the overall bending and torsional stiffness. Sensitivity coefficients of the total strain energy are computed using the forward finite diference scheme.
|Technical Paper||A Method of Primitive Structural Design by Stick Model|
|Technical Paper||Practical-Theoretical Analisys of Chassis Torsion by Finite Element Analysis|
|Technical Paper||Formula 2000 Tube Frame Analysis|
CitationChon, C., Mohammadtorab, H., and El-Essawi, M., "Generic “Stick” Model of a Vehicular Structure," SAE Technical Paper 860825, 1986, https://doi.org/10.4271/860825.
- Bennett, J. A. and Nelson, H. F., 1979, “An Optimization Capability of Automotive Structures”, 3rd International Conference on Vehicle Structural Mechanics, Troy, Mi., Oct. 10-12, 1979, pp 1-9,
- Du, H. A. and Chon, C. T., 1983, “Modeling of a Large-Scale Vehicle Structure”, proc. of the 8th Conf. on Electronic Computation, University of Houston. Houston, TX. ed. by Nelson, J. K. Jr. ASCE, pp 326-335,
- Fenyes, P. A., 1981, “Structural Optimization with Alternate Materials: Minimum Mass Design of the Primary Structure”, SAE Paper 810228,
- DeVries, R. I. and Chon, C. T., 1984, “Structural Design Sensitivity Analysis via Strain Energy Variations”, 5th Int. Conf. on Vehicle Structural Mechanics, Detroit, Mi. April 2-4, 1984, pp 135-141,
- Chon, C. T., 1985, “Rationalization of “Stick” Model Approximation”, (in preparation for publication).
- Whetstone, W. D., 1983, “EISI EAL Engineering Analysis Language Reference Manual”, Engineering Information Systems, Inc. San Jose, CA.
- Whetstone, W. D., 1979, “SPAR Structural Analysis system”, NASA CR 158970.
- Kulkarni, H. T., Prasad B. and Emerson, J. F., 1981, “Generic Modeling Procedure for Complex Component Design”, SAE Paper 811320, 4th Int. Conf, on Vehicle Structural Mechanics, Detroit, Nov. 1981.
- Whetstone, W. D., 1979, “Development of Generic Models Using EISI-EAL”, Symposium on Mathematical Modeling in Structural Engineering, NASA Langley, October, 1979.
- “SPOTS - Section Properties of Thin Walled Sections”, Structural Dynamics Research Corporation, 1976. SDRC Mechanical Design Library, Vol. 1.
- Barthelemy, B. M., Chon, C. T. and Haftka, R. T., 1986, “Finite Difference Approximation in a Generic Model”, (in preparation for publication).