This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Shape Optimization of Stamped Structural Components with Flanges
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 22, 1986 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Much of the current research in shape optimization has been directed toward the design of rather simple, two-dimensional problems. That work has generally been based upon patch-type mesh generation schemes which closely tie the boundary description to the mesh generation. Extension to more realistic, non-planar stamped parts has not been accomplished. The authors of this paper, however, have previously developed a general approach based upon a parameterized boundary description that uses a design element concept which was easily extended to folded parts. Although relatively general stamped parts could be designed, this previous work provided no convenient means of including stiffening flanges in the shape optimization model, although such flanges are often present on stamped parts. A new capability has been developed to add a continuous flange along the edge of a shape optimization model, sueh that the flange height is a design variable which can be controlled by the optimization program. An interactive graphics-oriented geometric modeling capability will also be described for the efficient creation of design models. Two design examples will be presented which demonstrate the automated flange design capability.
CitationBotkin, M. and Gressei, G., "Shape Optimization of Stamped Structural Components with Flanges," SAE Technical Paper 860803, 1986, https://doi.org/10.4271/860803.
- Bennett, J. A. Botkin, M. E. “Structural Shape Optimization with Geometric Problem Description and Adaptive Mesh Refinement” AIAA Journal 23 3 458 464 1985
- Botkin, M. E. Bennett, J. A. “Shape Optimization Of Three-Dimensional Folded Plate Structures,” AIAA Journal 23 11 1804 1810 1985
- Botkin, M. E. “An Adaptive Finite Element Technique for Plate Structures” Technical Note. AIAA Journal 23 5 812 8111 1985
- Braibant, V. Fleury, C. “Shape Optimal Design Using B-Splines” Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering 44 247 267 1984
- Botkin, M. E. “Shape Optimization of Plate and Shell Structures,” AIAA Journal 20 2 268 273 1982
- Cavendish, J. C. “Automatic Triangulation of Arbitrary Planar Domains for the Finite Element Method,” International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering 8 679 696 1974
- Frey, W.H. Cavendish, J. C. “Fast Planar Mesh Generation Using the Delaunay Triangulation” Presented to the Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics Meeting Seattle, WA July 16-20 1984
- Conner, J. J. Will, G. “A Triangular Flat Plate Bending Element,” M.I.T., Department of Civil Engineering Report TR-68-3 Cambridge, MA 1968
- Vanderplaats, G. “C0NMIN - A Fortran Program for Constrained Function Minimization User's Manual,” NASA, TM X 62,282 1973