This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Trends In Structural Optimization: Some Considerations in Using Standard Finite Element Software
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 22, 1986 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Structural optimization has seen remarkable progress in recent years, and is now recognized as a practical design tool. The ingredients of a structural optimization computer code include finite element analysis, sensitivity analysis, and optimization. Each of these are now available, but are seldom contained in a single computer code. Notably, sensitivity analysis must often be calculated as a post-processing operation to the finite element analysis. These various aspects of structural optimization are discussed, with emphasis on sensitivity calculations. Examples are given to demonstrate the present state of the art. It is argued that, while experts in the field can now create this capability by combining existing software, this is still a major task. Thus, it is most desirable that general-purpose, commercial software be created at the earliest possible date in order that this technology be used to its potential. It is concluded that structural optimization is a technology whose time has come.
CitationVanderplaats, G. and Miura, H., "Trends In Structural Optimization: Some Considerations in Using Standard Finite Element Software," SAE Technical Paper 860801, 1986, https://doi.org/10.4271/860801.
- Schmit, L.A., Jr., “Structural Design by Systematic Synthesis,” Proc. 2nd Conference on Electronic Computation. ASCE, New York, 1960, pp. 105-122.
- Vanderplaats, G.N., “CONMIN - A FORTRAN Program for Constrained Function Minimization: User's Manual,” NASA TM X-62, 282. August, 1973.
- Sangren, E. and Ragsdell, K.M., “The Utility of Nonlinear Programming Algorithms: A Comparative Study - Parts 1 and 2,” ASME Journal of Mechanical Design, Vol. 102, No. 3, July 1980, pp. 540-551.
- Warren, A.D. and Lasdon, L.S., “The Status of Nonlinear Programming Software,” Operations Research, Vol. 27, No. 3, pp. 431-455.
- Belegundu, A.D. and Arora, J.S., “A Study of Mathematical Programming Methods for Structural Optimization. Part 1: Theory. Part 2: Numerical Results,” International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering, Vol. 21, 1985, pp. 1583-1623.
- Vanderplaats, G.N. Sugimoto, H. and Sprague, C.M., “ADS-1: A New General-Purpose Optimization Program,” AIAA Journal, Vol. 22, No. 10, Oct. 1984.
- Schmit, L.A. and Milura, H., “Approximation Concepts for Efficient Structural Synthesis,” NASA CR-2552, 1976.
- Schmit, L.A. and Miura, H., “A New Structural Analysis/Synthesis Capability - ACCESS1,” AIAA Journal, Vol. 14, No. 5. May 1976, pp. 661-671.
- Fleury, C. and Schmit, L.A., “Dual Methods and Approximation Concepts in Structural Synthesis,” NASA CR 3226, December 1980.
- Fleury, C. and Braibant, V., “Structural Optimization - A New Dual Method Using Mixed Variables,” LTAS Report SA-115, University of Liege, Liege, Belgium, March, 1984.
- Lust, R.V. and Schmit, L.A., “Alternative Approximation Concepts for Space Frame Synthesis,” Proc. 26th AIAA/ASME/ASCE/AHS Structures. Structural Dynamics and Materials Conference, Orlando, FL. April 1985.
- Yoshida, N. and Vanderplaats, G.N., “Structural Optimization Using Beam Elements,” Proc. 26th AIAA/ASME/ASCE/AHS Structures. Structural Dynamics and Materials Concerence, Orlando, Fl. April 1985.
- Vanderplaats, G.N., “Comment on Methods of Design Sensitivity Analysis in Structural Optimization,” AIAA Journal, Vol. 18, No. 11, Nov. 1980, pp. 1406-1407.
- Haug, E.J., Choi, K.K. Hou, J.W., and Hou, J.M., “A Variational Method for Shape Optimal Design of Elastic Structures,” Optimal Structural Design II, (Ed. Gallagher R.H.) Wiley, New York, 1983.
- Choi, K.K. and Haug, E.J., “Shape Design Sensitivity Analysis of Elastic Structures,” Journal of Structural Mechanics, 11(2), 1983, pp. 231-269.
- Haug, E.J., Choi, K.K. and Komkov, V., Design Sensitivity Analysis of Structural Systems. Academic Press, 1984.
- Choi, K.K., “Shape Design Sensitivity Analysis of Displacement and Stress Constraints,” Journal of Structural Mechanics (to appear).
- Choi, K.K. Santos, J.L.T., Frederick, M.C., “Implementation of Design Sensitivity Analysis with Existing Finite Element Codes,” ASME (to appear).
- Haftka, R.T. and Mroz, Z., “First and Second-order Sensitivity Analysis of Linear and Non-Linear Structures,” AIAA Journal (to appear).
- Yang, R.J. and Botkin, M.E., “The Relationship Between the Variational Approach and the Implicit Differentiation Approach to Shape Design Sensitivities,” Proc. 26th AIAA/ASME/ASCE/AHS Structures. Structural Dynamics and Materials Conference, Orlando, FL. April 1985.
- Vanderplaats, G.N., Miura, H. and Chargin, M., “Large Scale Structural Synthesis,” Finite Elements in Analysis and Design, Vol. 1, No. 2. August 1985, pp. 117-130.
- ADS/NAS0PT: User's Manual, CSA Engineering Inc., Palo Alto, CA, and Engineering Design Optimization, Inc. Santa Barbara, CA, 1986.
- Bath, K., Wilson, E. L. and Peterson, F.E., “SAP IV: A Structural Analysis Program for Static and Dynamic Response of Linear Systems,” Rep. No EERC 73-11, University of California, Berkeley, CA, June 1973.
- Botkin, M.E., Yang, R. J. and Bennett, J.A., “Shape Optimization of Three-Dimensional Stamped and Solid Automotive Components,” General Motors Research Laboratories Report GMR-5168. To appear in Proceedings of the 1985 GMR Symposium on the Optimum Shape.