This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of PVC Coextruded onto Stainless Steel Clad Aluminum Trim
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 01, 1986 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Stainless steel clad aluminum has been used for exterior automotive trim for many years because of its unique bright, corrosion resistant properties. Recent styling trends have led to the use of black plastic to partially cover the stainless steel surface providing a “black on bright” trim system. The most economical process for manufacture of these systems is coextrusion of PVC onto bimetal during the roll forming process. This paper describes the process for manufacture of stainless steel clad aluminum and for coextrusion of PVC onto the bimetal. Important process steps which are covered include roll bond preparation, roll bonding, buffing, coextrusion preparation, surface treatment, adhesive application and coextrusion.
|Technical Paper||Surface Modification of Aluminium Alloy 5083 Reinforced with Cr2O3/TiO2 by Friction Stir Process|
|Ground Vehicle Standard||Selecting and Specifying Hot and Cold Rolled Steel Sheet and Strip|
|Aerospace Material Specification||Carbon Steel, Wire and Springs 0.75 - 0.88C (SAE 1080) Spring Temper, Cold Drawn|
CitationHaynes, G. and Baboian, R., "Development of PVC Coextruded onto Stainless Steel Clad Aluminum Trim," SAE Technical Paper 860526, 1986, https://doi.org/10.4271/860526.
- Baboian R., “Clad Metals in Automotive Trim Applications,” Paper 710276 presented at SAE Meeting, Detroit, January, 1971.
- Baboian R. and Redmerski L., Material Performance, Vol. 14, p 39, 1975.
- Baboian R., “Corrosion Behavior of Trim Materials on Automobiles,” Paper 770110 presented at SAE Meeting, Detroit, February, 1977.
- Haynes G. and Baboian R., “Effect of Acid Rain on Exterior Anodized Aluminum Automotive Trim,” Paper presented at Degradation of Materials Due to Acid Rain Symposium, Arlington, VA, June, 1985.
- “Cosmetic Corrosion in the Black/Stainless Steel Trim Area of Automobiles, Causes and Effects,” TI Technical Report.
- “1983 Montreal Survey on Cosmetic Corrosion in the Trim Area of Automobiles,” TI Technical Report.
- Baboian R., “Causes and Effects of Corrosion Relating to Exterior Trim on Automobiles,” Proceedings of the 2nd Automotive Corrosion Prevention Conference, SAE Publication P-136, pp 223-227, December, 1983.
- Haynes G. & Baboian R., “State-Of-The-Art Report on Delamination Resistance of Plastic from Trim Materials,” TI Technical Report.
- Haynes G. and Baboian R., “Mechanism of Marine Atmospheric Corrosion Resistance of Chrome Flashed Stainless Steels,” accepted for publication in Journal of Electrochemical Society, June, 1985.