This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Dynamic Turbocharged Diesel Engine Model for Control Analysis and Design
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 01, 1986 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A quasi-linear dynamic model for turbocharged diesel engine developed for control analysis and design is described in this paper. Linearized equations are obtained for the governor, the turbocharger, the combustion process, and the engine, taking into consideration the variation of the essential parameters over a wide range of the operating conditions. The model uses as its basis the steady state characteristics of the engine at the beginning and end of a change in input or load demand. The changes from one stale to another are characterized by linear transfer functions of either constant or variable parameters. Thus, the quasi-linear model developed, while retaining the advantages of the linearized approach, extends its capability in transient performance prediction of the engine over a broad operating range. Good agreement of computation results is obtained between the simulation model based on this quasi-linear approach and that based on the detailed thermodynamic cycle simulation. Applications of this model to the engine control analysis and design are discussed.
CitationTsai, S. and Goyal, M., "Dynamic Turbocharged Diesel Engine Model for Control Analysis and Design," SAE Technical Paper 860455, 1986, https://doi.org/10.4271/860455.
- McAulay, K.J., Wu, T., Chen, S.K., Borman, G.L., Myers, P.S., and Uyehara, O.A., “Development and Evaluation of the Simulation of the Compression Ignition Engine”. SAE Transactions, 1966
- Benson, R.S., “A Comprehensive Digital Computer Program to Simulate a Compression Ignition Engine Including Intake and Exhaust System”. SAE Paper No. 710173, January 1971
- Ledger, J.D., and Walmsley, S., “Computer Simulation of a Turbocitarged Diesel Engine Operating Under Transient Load Conditions”. SAE Paper No. 710177, January 1971
- Bowns, D.E., “The Dynamic Transfer Characteristics of Reciprocating Engines”, Proceedings of Institute of Mechanical Engineers 1970-1971, Vol. 185 16/71
- Hazell, P.A., and Flower, J.O., “Sampled-Data Theory Applied to the Modeling and Control Analysis of Compression Ignition Engines”, Parts I and 11, International Journal of Control, Vol. 13, No. 3, 1971
- Bowns, D.E., Cave, P.R.. Hargreaves, M.R.O., and Wallace, F.J., “Transient Characteristics of Turbocharged Diesel Engines”, Proceedings of Institute of Mechanical Engineers, No. 22/76, 1976
- Winterbone, D.E., Bensoft, R.S., Mortimer, A.G., Kenyon, P., and Stotter, A., “Transient Response of Turbocharged Diesel Engines”. SAE Paper No. 770122, 1977
- Watson, N., and Marzouk, M., “A Non-Linear Digital Simulation of Turbocharged Diesel Engines Under Transient Conditions”. SAE Paper No. 770123, 1977
- Winterbone, D.E., Thiruarooran, C., and Wellstead, P.E., “A Wholly Dynamic Model of a Turbocharged Diesel Engines for Transfer Function Evaluation”. SAE Paper No. 770124, 1977
- Ghuman. A.S., hvamuro, M.A., and Weber. H.G., “Turbocharged Diesel Engine Simulation to Predict Steady-State and Transient Performance”, ASME Paper No. 77-DGP-5, 1977
- Goyal, M.R., “Simulation of a Turbocharged Diesel Engine to Prredict the Transient Response”. ASME Paper No. 78-DGP-11, 1978.
- Marzouk, M., and Watson, N., “Load Acceptance of Turbocharged Diesel Engines”, Proceedings of Institute of Mechanical Engineers, Turbocharging and Turbochargers, Paper No. C54/78, 1978.
- Winterbone, D.E., and Loo, W.Y., “A Dynamic Simulation of Two-Stroke Turbocharged Diesel Engines”. SAE Paper No. 810337, 1981.
- Watson, N., “Transient Performance Simulation and Analysis of Turbocharged Diesel Engines”. SAE Paper No. 810338, 1981.
- Watson, N., “Dynamic Turbocharged Diesel Engine Simulator for Electronic Control System Development”. ASME Transactions, Journal of Dynamic Systems, Measurement and Control, Vol. 106, No. 1, March” 1984.
- Dynamic Simulation Language/VS: Language Reference Manual, IBM Program Number: 5798-PXJ, SH20-6288-0, 1984.
- Kuo, Benjamin C., Digital Control Systems. Holt, Rinchard and Winston, Inc., New York, N.Y., 1980.