This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Influence on Injection and Combustion Phenomena by Elimination of Hole Nozzle Sac Volume
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1986 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
For the reduction of unburned hydrocarbon emission from DI diesel engines nozzle sac volume is reduced and, in some cases, eliminated by covering the orifice with a valve.
Studies on the sacless nozzle, however, clarified that it seriously influences the injection phenomena :
- i. The state of the fuel spray is different at each spray hole and at each needle lift.
- ii. Facilitates the combustion gas blow-back into the nozzle.
The following are elucidated through this study :
- i. Irregular state of spray bases on flow line at the space between seat and needle different for each orifice and for each needle lift.
- ii. Gas blow-back occurs when needle bouncing and cylinder gas oscillation take place at the same time.
CitationAndoh, H. and Shiraishi, K., "Influence on Injection and Combustion Phenomena by Elimination of Hole Nozzle Sac Volume," SAE Technical Paper 860416, 1986, https://doi.org/10.4271/860416.
- Alkidas A. C. “Hydrocarbon Emissions from a Single Cylinder, Divided-Chamber Diesel Engine.” SAE Paper, 841380 1984
- Henningsen S. “Hydrocarbon Emissions from the Ignition-Delay Period in a Direct-Injection Diesel Engine” SAE Paper, 841381 1984
- Ford H. S. Merrion D. F. Hames R. J. “Reducing Hydrocarbon and Odor in Diesel Exhaust by Fuel Injector Design.” SAE Paper, 700734 1970
- Matsui Y. Sugihara K. “Analysis of the Source of Exhaust Hydrocarbons from Small Diesel Engines” a paper submitted to the Conference organized by SAE Japan, paper No. 852067 1985
- Lowe W. Rawlins R. “Fuel Injection Development for Dual-Fuel Engines.” CIMAC, British Seminor on Combustion Engines 1975
- Greeves G. Khan I. M. Wang C. H. T. Fenne I. “Origines of Hydrocatbon Emissions from Diesel Engines.” SAE Paper, 770259 1977
- Yokota K. Matsuoka S. “An Experimental Study on Fuel Spray in a Diesel Engine” Trans, of JSME 43 373 3455 1963
- Hardenberg H. “The Needle Lift Dependency of Flow Coefficient of Hole Nozzles for Direct Injection Diesel Engines.” MTZ 46 4 1985
- Dent J. C. “A Basis for the Combustion of Various Experimental Methods for Studying Penetration.” SAE Paper 710571 1971