This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Influence of Arc Parameters on Combustion in a Spark-Ignition Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1986 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
An investigation into the effect of arc parameters on cycle-by-cycle variation in the cylinder pressure development (CBCV) has revealed that under certain conditions there is a strong dependency. Both arc duration and gap can have a significant influence on combustion quality and stability in lean mixtures and the effects become more pronounced as ignition timing is advanced and load reduced.
Ionisation probes have shown a strong arc-duration dependent component in their output, suggesting the arc has a fundamental effect on the fully developed flame.
CitationHancock, M., Buckingham, D., and Belmont, M., "The Influence of Arc Parameters on Combustion in a Spark-Ignition Engine," SAE Technical Paper 860321, 1986, https://doi.org/10.4271/860321.
- Zeigler, G.F.W., Faly, R.R., and Wagner, E.P., “Effect of Ignition System Design on Flamiability in Ultra-Lean Turbulent Mixtures”, Proceedings of I.Mech.E. Conference on Engine Combustion, Oxford, 1983.
- Nakai, M., Nakagawa, Y., Hamai, K. and Sone, M., “Stabilised Combustion in a Spark Ignited Engine through a Long Spark Duration”. SAE paper No. 850075.
- Maly, R.R., “Ignition Model for Spark Discharges and the Early Phase of Flame Front Growth”, Eighteenth Symposium on Combustion, ppl747-1754, The Combustion Institute, 1981.
- Dd Soete, G.C., “Propagation Behaviour of Spark Ignited Flames in the Early Stages”, Proceedings of I.Mech.E Conference on Engine Combustion, Oxford, 1983.
- Young, M.B., “Cyclic Dispersion in the Spark Ignition Engine-A Literature Survey”. SAE paper No. 810020, 1901.
- Belmont, M.R., Hancock, M.S. and Buckingham, D.J., “Statistical Aspects of Cyclic Variability”, This Congress.
- Hancock, M.S., “Cyclic Variability in a Spark-Ignition Engine”, PhD Thesis, University of Exeter, 1985.
- Barton, R.K., Kenemuth, D.K, Lestz, S.S. and Meyer, W.E., “Cycle-by-Cycle Variations in a Spark-Ignition Engine - A Statistical Analysis”. SAE paper No. 700488, 1970.
- Martin, J.K., Witze, P.O. and Borgnakke, C., “Combustion Effects on the Preflama Flow Field in a Research Engine”. SAE paper No. 850122, 1985.
- Sokolik, A.S., “Self Ignition, Flame and Detonation in Gases”, Oldbourne Press, London, 1963. (Translated from Russian)
- Lawton, J. and Weinberg, F.J., “Electrical Aspects of Combustion”, Clarendon Press, Oxford, 1969.