This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A New Combustion Chamber for Fast-Burn Applications
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1986 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A new combustion chamber design is proposed in which it is possible to control the scale and intensity of turbulence generated just prior to ignition. A single cylinder engine has been fitted with the new chamber, and measurements of the turbulence field with a hot-wire anemometer are presented. The chamber design has been compared to a conventional bowl-in-piston design under both motoring and fired operation. Hotwire measurements showed an increase in turbulence intensity of 50% and a reduction in the length scale of turbulence compared to the conventional chamber. Cylinder pressure measurements indicated that the mass-burn rate is increased with the new chamber, particularly during the early stage of combustion. During operation at 1140 rpm with the new chamber, peak cylinder pressure was 4% higher and occurred 3° earlier than for the conventional chamber.
CitationEvans, R. and Cameron, C., "A New Combustion Chamber for Fast-Burn Applications," SAE Technical Paper 860319, 1986, https://doi.org/10.4271/860319.
- Taylor, C.F. “The Internal Combustion Engine in Theory and Practice” 1 MIT Press 1968
- Mattavi, J.N. “The Attributes of Fast Burning Rates in Engines,” SAE paper 800920 1980
- Abdel-Gayed, R.G. Bradley, D. “A Two-Eddy Theory of Premixed Turbulent Flame Propagation” Proc. Royal Society 301 A1457 1 25 1981
- Evans, R.L. Patent Applications 1984
- Jones, A.L. Evans, R.L. “Comparison of Burning Rates in a Natural Gas Fuelled Spark Ignition Engine” ASME Paper 85-DGP-2 1985
- Witze, P.O. “A Critical Comparison of Hot-Wire Anemometry and Laser Doppler Velocimetry for I.C. Engine Applications” SAE paper 800132 1980
- Catania, A.E. Mittica, A. “A Contribution to the Definition and Measurement of Turbulence in a Reciprocating I.C. Engine” ASHE Paper 85-DGP-12 1985
- Haghooie, M. Kent, J.C. Tabaczynski, R.J. “Turbulent Time Scale Measurements in a Spark-Ignition Engine Using Hot-Wire Anemometry and Fast Response Ion Probes” Flows in Internal Combustion Engines ASME 1982