This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Combustion Chamber Insulation Effect on the Performance of a Low Heat Rejection Cummins V-903 Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 01, 1986 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Cummins Engine Company is developing a low heat rejection 450 kW engine under contract for the US Army Tank & Automotive Command. This paper discusses progress made toward achieving the program goals of 6.6 kcal/kW-min brake specific heat rejection and 200 g/kW-hr brake specific fuel consumption. Methodology for measuring heat rejection on a low heat rejection engine is presented. Design improvements of the base engine are discussed along with their effect on improving fuel consumption. Performance test data is assessed in terms of the first law energy balance and cooling load distribution. The heat rejection data provides insights on the performance of insulating components and two cooling system designs. Diesel cycle simulations are compared to the test data and are used to predict the effect of ceramic insulation on engine heat rejection.
|Technical Paper||Experimental Study of Energy Balance for Air-Cooled DI Diesel Engines Operating in Hot Climates|
|Technical Paper||Measurement of Bore Distortion in a Firing Engine|
CitationMoore, C. and Hoehne, J., "Combustion Chamber Insulation Effect on the Performance of a Low Heat Rejection Cummins V-903 Engine," SAE Technical Paper 860317, 1986, https://doi.org/10.4271/860317.
- Hoag K.L. “Measurement and Analysis of the Effect of Wall Temperature on Instantaneous Heat Flux” SAE 860312 1986
- Sudhakar, V. “Performance Analysis of Adiabatic Engines” SAE 840431 1984
- Flynn, P. F. Hoag K. L. Kammel M. M. Primus R. J. “A New Perspective on Diesel Engine Evaluation Based on Second Law Analysis” SAE 840032 1984
- Primus R. J. Hoag K.L. Flynn P. F. Brands M.C. “An Appraisal of Advanced Engine Concepts Using Second Law Analysis Techniques’ IMechE C440/84 1984
- Hoag, K. L. Brands, M. C. Bryzik, W. “Cummins/Tacom Adiabatic Engine Program” SAE 850356 1985
- Carr J. Jones J. “Post Densified Cr203 Coatings for Adiabatic Engines.” SAE 840432 1984