This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Cold Forging of Metal Powder Preforms
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1986 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper reviews the state of the art of cold forming porous preforms into net or near-net shapes for structural applications. Materials discussed include ferrous and aluminum powders. Processes include both bulk and localized cold forming. Analysis of densification and deformation for cold forming of axisymmetric cup shapes, hubs and flanges is presented. Empirically based relationships concerning proper preform design are extended to more complex shapes.
CitationFerguson, B., "Cold Forging of Metal Powder Preforms," SAE Technical Paper 860152, 1986, https://doi.org/10.4271/860152.
- Ferguson H., “The Manufacture of Ball Bearing Races Via Cold Forming of P/M Preforms,”, Mod. Dev. in P/M, vol.11, MPIF, pp 173-179, 1977.
- Dower R.J. and Miles G.I., “The Cold Forging of Two Automobile Components from Sintered Powder Preforms,”, Pow. Metal. Int., 11(3), pp 101-102,1979.
- Chimura W.J., “New Powder Metal Technique,”, Design News, pp 95-98, June 7, 1982.
- Suzuki M., et al., “Surface Rolling of Sintered Bears,”, Mod. Dev. in P/M, vol.12, MPIF, pp 779-793, 1981.
- Kuhn Howard A., “Deformation Processing of Sintered Powder Materia1s,”, P/M Process. - New Techniques and Analyses, eds. Kuhn and Lawley, Academic Press, New York, pp 99-138, 1978.
- Downey C.L., “Powder Preform Forging - An Analytical and Experimental Approach to Process Design,”, Ph.D. Thesis, Drexel University, 1972.
- Suh S.K. and Kuhn H.A., “Three Fracture Modes and Their Prevention in Forming P/M Preforms,”, Mod. Dev. in P/M, vol. 9, MPIF, pp 407-425, 1977.
- Suh S.K., “Prevention of Defects in Powder Preform Forging,”, Ph.D. Thesis, Drexel University, 1976.