This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Blockage Effects in Automotive Wind-Tunnel Testing
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 01, 1986 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A series of geometrically similar, different-sized, car-shaped models of differing sizes have been tested in closed and open-jet wind tunnels at MIRA and DNW to determine the blockage effects due to cars and to assess various blockage correction methods. The blockage ratios represented in the test programme ranged from 2 to 10 per cent in the closed-jet tunnels and from 2 to 22 per cent in the open-jet facilities.
Despite attempts to minimise the variations in Reynolds number and to allow for the effects of differing relative thicknesses of tunnel floor boundary layers, the scatter in the experimental data was often large in relation to the effects being studied. Moreover, the open-jet blockage study was mostly inconclusive because of larger effects which were probably due to other causes than tunnel blockage.
The blockage effects in the closed-jet appeared to be generally closer in magnitude to those implied by the area-ratio method (based on continuity), rather than the Hackett and Wilsden pressure-signature method or the recent method by Mercker.
CitationCarr, G. and Stapleford, W., "Blockage Effects in Automotive Wind-Tunnel Testing," SAE Technical Paper 860093, 1986, https://doi.org/10.4271/860093.
- Fosberry, R.A.C. White, R.G.S. ‘The Aerodynamics of Road Vehicles. A Comparison of Cars and their Models in Wind Tunnels’ MIRA Report No. 1958/9
- Carr, G.W. Rose, M.J. ‘Correlation of Full-Scale Wind Tunnel and Road Measurements of Aerodynamic Drag’ MIRA Report No. 1964/5
- Carr, G.W. ‘Wind Tunnel Blockage Corrections for Road Vehicles’ MIRA Report No 1971/4
- Sykes, D.M. ‘Blockage Corrections for Large Bluff Bodies in Wind Tunnels’ ‘Advances in Road Vehicle Aerodynamics’ BHRA Cranfield 1973
- Rae, W.H. Pope, A. ‘Low-Speed Wind Tunnel Testing’ John Wiley and Sons New York 1904
- Haskell, E.C. ‘A Theory of the Blockage Effects on Bluff Bodies and Stalled Wings in a Closed Wind Tunnel’ RAE Report No. Aero. 2685 1963
- Carr, G.W. ‘A Reappraisal of the Simulation of Road Conditions in the MIRA Wind Tunnels through Correlation of Pressure Measurements’ MIRA Report No. 1974/1
- Carr, G.W. ‘Correlation of Pressure Measurements in Model and Full-Scale Wind Tunnels and on the Road’ SAE Paper 750065 Detroit 1975
- Hackett, J.E. Wilsden, D.J. ‘Determination of Low Speed Wake Blockage Corrections via Tunnel Wall Static Pressure Measurements’ AGARD CP 174 London 1975
- Buchheim, R. et al. ‘Comparison Tests between Major European Automotive Wind Tunnels’ SAE Paper 800140 Detroit 1980
- Carr, G.W. ‘Correlation of Aerodynamic Force Measurements in MIRA and Other Automotive Wind Tunnels’ SAE Paper 820374 Detroit 1982
- Buchheim, R. et al. ‘Comparison Tests between Major European and Worth American Automotive Wind Tunnels’ SAE Paper 830301 Detroit 1983
- MIRA Report 1986
- Bettes, W.H. Kelly, K.B. ‘The Influence of Wind Tunnel Solid Boundaries on Automotive Test Data’ SAE Paper 741031 1974
- Mercker, E. ‘A Blockage Correction for Automotive Testing in a Closed Wind Tunnel’ Proceedings of 6th Colloquium on Industrial Aerodynamics Fachhochschule Aachen 1965
- Templin, J.T. Raimondo, S. ‘Experimental Evaluation of Test Section Boundary Interference Effects in Road Vehicle Tests in Wind Tunnels’ Proceedings of 6th Colloquium on Industrial Aerodynamics Fachhochschule Aachen 1905
- Hackett, J.E. Wilsden, D.J. Lilley, D.E. ‘Estimation of Tunnel Blockage from Wall Pressure Signatures: A Review and Data Correlation’ NASA CR 152241 1979
- Carr, G.W. ‘An Empirical Method for Estimating the Aerodynamic Drag of Cars’ Vehicle Aerodynamics Short Course at von Karman Institute for Fluid Dynamics Brussels 1984
- Lock, C.N.H. ‘The Interference of a Wind Tunnel on a Symmetrical Body’ ARC, R & M 1275 1929
- Thom, A. ‘Blockage Correction in a Closed High-Speed Tunnel’ ARC, R & M 2033 1943
- Glauert, H. ‘Wind Tunnel Interference on Wings, Bodies and Airscrews’ ARC, R & M 1566 1933